Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need help choosing amps for my setup

Let me say first this seems like a great site, lots of good info. First time poster, long time reader. I have an 05 outback LSV. Looking to upgrade my sound system.

Here's what I have now. Tower speakers are two Kicker KMT6, cabin speakers are 6 polk db651's. I also have a 10" kicker cvt 2 ohm sub.

I have a hand me down jensen 2 channel 500 watt amp pushing the tower speakers and the cabin speakers. The head unit doesn't have any speakers hooked to it. The jensen is running everything. The sub is not hooked up only mounted in the boat. Needless to say this aint workin for me. The amp will push the speakers and it sounds descent but it gets super hot. It's in the storage compartment under the glovebox so there's not much air circulation there anyway.

My head unit is a kenwood kmr 440u.

I need some recommendations for an amp to run my 6 cabin speakers 2 tower speakers and one sub. If I need to do two amps so be it. I only have one battery for now but I can add another one if need be. Sorry for the long post but I'm pretty new at this audio stuff so go easy on me. I really appreciate your help.

Feel free to throw in any other recommendations as well as tips, wire size, mounting locations etc.

I'd go Exile but that's because that's what I'd do!
    I'm partial to JL audio if not Exile. I run 2 MHD amps right now so you can see I don't take shortcuts and I like the "good stuff"

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Talking

Ill check out exile. I need some specifics guys, like amp channels, wattage etc. I appreciate it.

You'll want 2 amps, and I'd recommend Class D. Not sure I'll ever buy a class A/B amp again...

What two amps would you recommend? I was gonna go with class d amps.

so lets ask what you are looking for. do you sit in a party cove for hours on end or looking for a basic system to get some noise around for the family?

dedicated party cove system, look at exile, wetsounds, zapco, some of that stuff. for just a basic system to pump some noise around, I'd probably look at some kicker stuff. They make a great setup that will fill the air with noise..

my system, i'd look for a solid 250wpc 2ch amp for the towers, and a 5ch amp to run the inboat and subs. something around 50-75wpc for the 4ch inboat and 200w for the sub channel. again, that's assuming you are not looking for a party cove setup.

post up some more info on what you plan to do, what you use the system for primarily and the big one--budget..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Definitely fullrange Class D amplifiers. It's the technology for this century. It's not 1975 anymore.
    Switching speeds in the newest generation of switching class amplifiers are 20 to 40 times what is normally audible at the high end in a boat.
    60 percent more efficient so they sip current instead of gulping it.
    Dominant in ProSound.
    More dynamic sounding.
    Popular in many of the top self-powered studio monitors (where your music is mixed).
    Now used by many esoteric home stereo companies like Krell, Mark Levinson, Bang & Olufsen and many more.
    Recently Class D fullrange amplification was included in the 'Absolute Sound' round table discussion which included many of the finest amplifier designers over the previous decades.
    Adopted in car audio and marine by JL Audio, Alpine, Hertz, Kicker, Arc Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Phoenix Gold and now Wetsounds to name a few.
    The migration to fullrange Class D will absolutely continue. The only ones to have something negative to say about it are the ones that do NOT have it.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    so lets ask what you are looking for. do you sit in a party cove for hours on end or looking for a basic system to get some noise around for the family?

dedicated party cove system, look at exile, wetsounds, zapco, some of that stuff. for just a basic system to pump some noise around, I'd probably look at some kicker stuff. They make a great setup that will fill the air with noise..

my system, i'd look for a solid 250wpc 2ch amp for the towers, and a 5ch amp to run the inboat and subs. something around 50-75wpc for the 4ch inboat and 200w for the sub channel. again, that's assuming you are not looking for a party cove setup.

post up some more info on what you plan to do, what you use the system for primarily and the big one--budget..
    I want something I can play for a couple hours or so in a cove without it getting too hot and shutting down. So not an all out super expensive setup but a reliable one that I can play loud. I would like to stay under 600 for both amps.

Can I find an amp that will run six 4ohm speakers and one 2 ohm sub?
    Last edited by oleblue22; 05-21-2012 at 12:50 PM.

For heat dissipation first consider the heat generation...
    Class AB at 50 percent efficiency draws 200 watts of supply to create 100 watts of power to the speakers. 100 watts of heat is generated for every 100 watts of output.
    Class D at 80 percent efficiency draws 125 watts of supply to create 100 watts of power to the speakers. 25 watts of heat is generated for every 100 watts of output.
    So Class AB creates FOUR times (100 vs 25) the heat of Class D to produce the same output level.
    So there is a huge thermal differential. Also, amplifiers tend to run less efficiently and dissipate heat less efficiently at lower voltage levels. A less efficient amplifier encourages much less available voltage. That causes a profoundly negative cycle.

David
    Earmark Marine

Sure. Most any 5-channel amplifier will handle six 4-ohm coaixials and a single 2-ohm subwoofer.

David
    Earmark Marine