Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Need help choosing amps for my setup

Let me say first this seems like a great site, lots of good info. First time poster, long time reader. I have an 05 outback LSV. Looking to upgrade my sound system.

Here's what I have now. Tower speakers are two Kicker KMT6, cabin speakers are 6 polk db651's. I also have a 10" kicker cvt 2 ohm sub.

I have a hand me down jensen 2 channel 500 watt amp pushing the tower speakers and the cabin speakers. The head unit doesn't have any speakers hooked to it. The jensen is running everything. The sub is not hooked up only mounted in the boat. Needless to say this aint workin for me. The amp will push the speakers and it sounds descent but it gets super hot. It's in the storage compartment under the glovebox so there's not much air circulation there anyway.

My head unit is a kenwood kmr 440u.

I need some recommendations for an amp to run my 6 cabin speakers 2 tower speakers and one sub. If I need to do two amps so be it. I only have one battery for now but I can add another one if need be. Sorry for the long post but I'm pretty new at this audio stuff so go easy on me. I really appreciate your help.

Feel free to throw in any other recommendations as well as tips, wire size, mounting locations etc.

I'd go Exile but that's because that's what I'd do!
    I'm partial to JL audio if not Exile. I run 2 MHD amps right now so you can see I don't take shortcuts and I like the "good stuff"

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Talking

Ill check out exile. I need some specifics guys, like amp channels, wattage etc. I appreciate it.

You'll want 2 amps, and I'd recommend Class D. Not sure I'll ever buy a class A/B amp again...

What two amps would you recommend? I was gonna go with class d amps.

so lets ask what you are looking for. do you sit in a party cove for hours on end or looking for a basic system to get some noise around for the family?

dedicated party cove system, look at exile, wetsounds, zapco, some of that stuff. for just a basic system to pump some noise around, I'd probably look at some kicker stuff. They make a great setup that will fill the air with noise..

my system, i'd look for a solid 250wpc 2ch amp for the towers, and a 5ch amp to run the inboat and subs. something around 50-75wpc for the 4ch inboat and 200w for the sub channel. again, that's assuming you are not looking for a party cove setup.

post up some more info on what you plan to do, what you use the system for primarily and the big one--budget..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I would take Davids recommendations on the amp. It may be a bit out of budget now but look at it this way...buy the wrong amp now and then buy the proper one later, or just boy the correct one from the get go. A bit more cost up front, but you are done and know everything matches the way it should.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by oleblue22 View Post
    Let me say first this seems like a great site, lots of good info. First time poster, long time reader. I have an 05 outback LSV. Looking to upgrade my sound system.

Here's what I have now. Tower speakers are two Kicker KMT6, cabin speakers are 6 polk db651's. I also have a 10" kicker cvt 2 ohm sub.

I have a hand me down jensen 2 channel 500 watt amp pushing the tower speakers and the cabin speakers. The head unit doesn't have any speakers hooked to it. The jensen is running everything. The sub is not hooked up only mounted in the boat. Needless to say this aint workin for me. The amp will push the speakers and it sounds descent but it gets super hot. It's in the storage compartment under the glovebox so there's not much air circulation there anyway.

My head unit is a kenwood kmr 440u.

I need some recommendations for an amp to run my 6 cabin speakers 2 tower speakers and one sub. If I need to do two amps so be it. I only have one battery for now but I can add another one if need be. Sorry for the long post but I'm pretty new at this audio stuff so go easy on me. I really appreciate your help.

Feel free to throw in any other recommendations as well as tips, wire size, mounting locations etc.
    I had this EXACT speaker setup in my previous '05 LS except I had the 12" cvt. Also had the same HU. The two amps I used were the Kicker ZXM 700.5 for the in-boats and Sub. For the towers I used the Kicker ZXM 450.2. This system ROCKED in my old boat. If you are on a budget it's not a bad way to go. I got both of those amps for about $500 total on Ebay brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

oleblue22,
    In a two-channel amplifier, you will need a 450 watt total power at the 2-ohm load rating in order to deliver the 2 x 150 watts that your tower speakers would like at a 4-ohm load. For one pair of 4-ohm tower speakers it's customary to go with a bridged 4-channel amplifier as it is usually a more cost effective way to achieve the right power.

David
    Earmark Marine

I can get the kicker 700.5 and the kicker 450.2 for just under $700 here locally brand new from an authorized dealer. He can't get jl but online looks like it'll be upwards of $900. I know the jls are better being class d and all but if I knew I could play these kickers loud without them shutting off due to heat I'd probably just go with them.