Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tower speakers help!!ASAP

I was planning on ordering the Aerial tower speakers in 7.7 JL with the polished cans or the 6.5 JL polished cans. I was wondering what the clearance between the Bimini and the tower was? does anyone have that measurements for this? i want to still be able to use my Bimini. And has anyone used these speaker or know anything about them. The guy i spoke with at aerial was not much help. I was also concerned about the clamp size. these speaker come with a 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 in clamp. i have been told mine is a 1 5/8 so i was just gonna order different clamps from some other company bc they do not offer any other size at aerial. Any suggestions?

Going to need to know which tower and bimini you're talking about for anyone to chime in.

Also, I believe Aerial sends multiple thicknesses of rubber inserts for the clamps that may solve your problem.

What is the year/model of your boat? I'm guessing early to mid 00's. I also have the 1-5/8" tower and haven't had any luck talking to Aerial. You should ask if their 1-3/4" clamp is achieved by using a bunch of inserts. If not, you could go that route and add a few rubber inserts of your own. DIYWake has some clamps you may be able to get to work for you if you don't mind piecing them together and the Aerial cans would accept them.

http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopdisp...d+Tower+Clamps

Unless you are getting some smoking deal from Aerial it may be worth looking elsewhere for something that fits without having to MacGuyver it together.

Liquid Audio has the JL 7.7's and offer up smaller clamp sizes. I use a pair of their double 6.5 cans on my tower.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/lasdirect2u/...&_trksid=p3984
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I have the stock tower for 2005 mobius lsv and Bimini. the guy at aerial told me the rubber inserts only go from 1 3/4 to 2 1/2. I am assuming mine tower is 1 5/8 from what i read on other forums but not 100%.

Do you know if the 7.7 will clear in between my tower and Bimini? i dont want to loose my Bimini top.

I can't help you. Probably best to measure the space you've got with the bimini and go from there. You know 6.5's will be a lower profile though.

Thanks, i will have to measure when i go to the lake this weekend. Any suggestion on speakers with cans for $450-$500 range. I ordered a wet sound ws-420 so budgets tight right now. i looked at there speakers they are expensive. Wet sound does not offer a polished can. I was pushing towards polish because my tower is polished.

That would depend on the amp you are going to power them with. You can score some pretty good deals on eBay auctions, but often that is more during the off season and winter months...

I have a JL Audio 300/2.

Interesting, specs I find for that amp gives a range rather than specific output at 2ohm or 4ohm...

Rated Power (stereo): 150W RMS x 2 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm
    (11V-14.5V)

If you're only powering 2 speakers with that amp you can go with just about anything for 6.5" speakers and have more than enough.

If you're going bigger or doubles (2x2) wired in parallel you'll likely want to be more conservative since they'll be sharing/splitting the power per channel.

I'd lean towards a pair of 6.5's rated at ~ 100w RMS each for running just two.
    If you want to go doubles, then 6.5's rated at ~65w RMS each.
    Really depends on your budget, preference, etc. Better to overpower than underpower your speakers.

I'm sure one of the resident audio experts could chime in here.