Default Replaced Garage Door

Built this roll up door for the small garage at our house. Finished yesterday.

The original four-panel roll up was hollow core. It suffered from (my) neglect and needed replacement. New door from a home supply center is $500 - $1,000. So I decided to buy stock lumber and make my own roll up door.

Used the original panels as templates, transferred their measurements to 1/4 inch sheet plywood, and created the square pattern with pine trim. Braces and hinges still worked okay, but replaced the original carriage bolts.

The panels are heavy. Midway through the project I became concerned that what I had saved on the door I would end up spending on a stronger lift mechanism. In the end, my concern was misplaced as the lift works just fine with the new door.

I spent about $180 on lumber and $30 on hardware. None of the building supply centers (Lowes, Home Depot, Menards) carries weather seal for a wooden door. So I bought an eight-foot length of 1” soft PVC tubing and screwed it to the bottom edge. Cost about $7 and works just fine.

While I was in project mode, I scraped, primed, and repainted the garage shingles and put up a gutter and downspout. Got rid of the Hansel and Gretel style trim hanging along the front edge of the roof and upgraded to motion sensor alley lights. Last fall I pulled the old wiring, relocated switch boxes and lights, and ran conduit.

Had I to do over again, I would still go the do-it-yourself route on the roll up door. Saved money and gave me confidence to take on some other projects. The house was built in ’37 and always needs attention.

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Nice DIY project and came out looking fantastic!

Very nice... No sure I would tackle it.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Looks good Deerfield. I believe I'll take my chances with tornados instead of that snow you got going on. Yuk
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Good job man!!!
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

Since you added weight, you need to increase your spring tension (probably). Looks nice.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Great job! Definately check the spring tension or you'll bust those in no time. Release the opener manual release and hanr push the door open halfway, if it stays put your good. However if it starts falling back down then you need to add tension until it does. Spraying the upper springs with a spring lube or wd-40 twice a year keeps them in top shape btw.
    2007 Mobius LSV