Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fuel Line or Pump??

We have had the boat for 6 years. We replaced the fuel pump last year and it ran fine until we went to get it out this year and now it is acting strange. When we first turn it on it will generally run idle fine but then to give it gas makes the whole thing shut off. No matter how much gas we give it it always shuts off. It will run for about 20 seconds before it shuts off. It shuts off quicker if we floor the gas as opposed to just giving it a little gas. We also are having a hard time locating the fuel line. Please help we are totally at a loss!! Thanks!

Hi Esteven and welcome to the forum. Some details on your boat and engine will help you to get some more detailed feedback and suggestions where to start and where to look.

What year, model, DD or Vdrive, engine (injected or carb) etc.?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

its an '04 moomba outback and there is a holley carb. those are the only details I have about it for now but can get more if needed.

I assume that you have already replaced the fuel filter. Have you done any work to the carb?
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

We are having a hard time finding the fuel filter??any ideas where it's located??

Most of the time its located between the tank and pump. Its normaly a small round cylinder about inch and a half in diamiter and 3 inches long. Just has slip on ends for the fuel line.

Other wise since you know where the Pump is, follow that line back to the tank and you should run into a filter. Or since its a carb, there might also be one right as the line runs into the carb as well. The last carb i had was a Rodchester Quadrajet and it had a small filer that was in the screw in housing of the actual fuel line.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

i had this happen to me last year..it would idle fine then u give it gas and it would just die..i replaced the fuel filter..its in the back under the sun pad bench thing..u open ur back bench and u unscrew the floor in the storage area and u will see the fuel tank and you will see the filter near the tank( if i was home i would take some pics) and i had to go to a diesel shop to get a new filter..i replaced that filter and the fuel pump..and the carb is fuel injected..we also took the fuel sprayers out of the top of the carb and cleaned those out..and so far (as of last summer) she was running mint
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

when i took my fuel filter to west marine and showed them they looked at me like i was crazy and didnt think that my filter came out of my boat, come to find out they didnt have one..looked up the part number online and i found out it was a pre fuel filter for a diesel application..ohh well it works fine for me haha..also when i did take it out i tapped it on the ground and there was some nice pieces of rust that came out..good thing i replaced it
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

checked the fuel filter and the gas flows through just fine. Completely at a loss....

Quote Originally Posted by esteven View Post
    checked the fuel filter and the gas flows through just fine. Completely at a loss....
    Are you sure its full flow. Just because you can breath threw a straw doesnt mean you can survive breathing threw it all day.

You could be getting flow threw it, but when demand is placed on it, it might be cloging up or not have enough flow.
    Basically with a Carb you have a float bowl, when you stomp the gas the carb empties that float bowel and the fuel pump isnt able to refill it in time. THis is why you get a 20 second run then die.

Your on the right track, i agree you have a fuel flow problem.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]