Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BALLAST FITTINGS POPPING OUT

I have an 05 XLV with the gravity games package and my rear ballast bags have been spitting out the ballast fittings since day one. I've tried everything from torquing them down to putting thread tape on the fitting threads. It appears as though the fittings are a smaller size than the bag threads.
    I just had to pull my boat off the lake with sunset BUTTER water because I had to drop the rope, pop my board off, swim to the boat and play with those fittings...again.
    Moomba: Any suggestions? My dealer just shrugs them off. I'm about to apoxy the darn things on there so I don't have to waste any more of my time on this.
    I spend too much time during the week waiting for the planets to align so that I can be on some calm water enjoying my Moomba for things like this to ruin it.

Default Replying to Topic 'BALLAST FITTINGS POPPING OUT'

Possibly a good coat of silicon. It might work and if you ever need to back them out you still could.
    Epoxy will be perm but it would work, I would try silicon if it is still a problem, JB weld!
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

I too have an 05 XLV with the Gravity Games Package and I am having the three balast sytem installed. How much does each rear balast weigh when fully filled with water?

Brian Raymond Guest

The 16x16x30 bags in the rear hold 275 lbs. each. The 16x16x70 bag in the front holds 650 lbs. Brian Raymond

My Outback has the single 'fly-high' bag under the bench seat in the back. Brian, while you're looking up stats, can you tell me how much it weighs when filled? Thank you in advance.
    Jim
    North Carolina
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Brian Raymond Guest

The single 8x15x62 bag holds 275 lbs. Brian Raymond

Thanks man...have a hearty one this 4th
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Brian,

So back to the initial post; What's up with the fittings blowing out? I have the Fly High side sacks in my 05 XLV. I understand there is also another type of bag installed in some XLV's. Is it possible that these fittings are not the same size? There have been other posts here for the same problem. I'd really hate to permanently attach those fittings to the bag but it's getting pretty frustrating.

Default Replying to Topic 'B

Hello Friends I can tell you that I HAVE experienced the same thing with my 05 xlv but I have since remedied the problem. The problem with the ballast is not the fittings at least not with my boat. I have the factory provided fat sacks or fly hi/barefoot international. The fix/problem is that the fill line is to short. By lenghtning the line the bag can fully fill. On my boat both bags would get 3/4 full and the lines would pull out of the bags. My first action was i removed the back black plastic wall and put a raduis in the plastic where the little notch the factory made (side note my lines were crempt/crushed coming through what sc had done) with a role of tape as my out line and my jigsaw, just a small semi-circle about 2 and a half tall at the highest point, it just gives the line some movement plus it looks good and looks oem. when that did'nt give me the needed length I went in the transmission cover and if you are looking towards the back of boat the valves from left to right. I reversed the middle fill hose(right bag fill line) and the far right valve(front bag fill line)by swapping these to lines I gained about 10 inches of additional line, just remember to also reverse or swap the electrical plugs as well or the fill/empty switches will be reversed. As for the left bag I had to cut the tie raps to get the extra length and then re-tie rap the hoses and stuff. I pointed this out to the dealer and they just gave me lip service about putting the boat in the water is checking themselves. Problems is that had they check it would have been more than obvious and I would not have had to put on my re-engineer hat. Anyway I have gone on to add two 750lbs for each side because we are waake surfing and HOLLY #%*& what a wake we make now!!!! And if you put the 1500 lbs together on one side Fa-getta-bout it.!!! Is colossal-giant-bathicus a word, well it is on my lake!!

Aquaholic
    2005 Moomba 23 XLV
    340 HP, Clarion 5 HU, 2 Clarion wired digital remotes, 2 Wetsounds 485's, 6 Wetsounds XS 650's, 1 JL 12w6 Sub, 1 Wetsound WS420, 2 JL 300/2amps, 1 Wetsounds Sync 4 amp, 1 JL 500/1 amp. Teak swim platform, Perfect pass. Flip up Bow Light, Chrome tower Nav Light, Chrome thru hulls, Black Bimini, 2 750 Flyhigh bags, 1100 center Flyhigh bag, Acme 1235 14.25 x 14.5 prop, Dual battery system. Evolution Cover. Chrome Blower Vent Covers.

Sounds like a good fix. I'll see if that's what's causing mine to pop out as well. I'd thought about a few ways to re-engineer the system or the fittings to make it work, but this is a brand new boat with less than 50 hours on it and a full warranty. As good a job you did making it work I can't help but think that after spending over 40K on this boat I shouldn't have to home engineer stuff for a while...