Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Brandon

Boat looks awesome. Im wet sanding my blue Outback and it sucks!!! I started with 800 and then 1000 but cant seem to cut enough to get rid of ghosting where decals were. Werent you afraid to go through the gel layer?

Any guidence would be appreciated.

Kirk
    Last edited by Elite Marine; 05-24-2012 at 09:06 PM.

How many hours do you guys have in these projects?

Too many!!!

Im going to finish one side today, it was really faded and I probably have 16 - 20 hrs into it seriously.

My fault as I started with 1000 and did it twice before going down to 800 and then finally 600 for areas around decals that were removed. Its almost done and once I rub it out then buff, it will be worth it.

It all depends on how deep the fadding is. Whoever owned boat didnt wax which is a simple process to avoid this. It will be beautiful when Im done. And waxed weekly!!

I wasn't afraid, the gel coat is extremely thick and wet sanding deliberately by hand doesn't remove material nearly as quickly as power sanding. I went down to 600 around the decal ghosting until it was unnoticeable from 2-3 feet back, I called it good at that. Once you work your way up and get to the polishing steps the color will get a lot more depth, and you'll hardly see the ghosting at all. I can spot it if the sun is at just the right angle, but I have to point it out to my wife.
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    2001 American Skier LazAir Edition
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

Time invested...probably 5 hours of wet sanding, and another 3 polishing. I still have another 2 hours of final polishing and waxing to go.
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    2001 American Skier LazAir Edition
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

Very nice! I have the same boat, '98 Outback. I'm just starting a restoration and was working the gelcoat. In my case, the original decals were removed by the previous owner, similar to what you show in the first picture. Only when I started working the oxidation off with a polisher, I quickly had to drop down to wet sanding. Problem I'm facing is that the area where the decals were are lighter than the others. Almost looks dirty.

Any advice on how to even out the color. I'm using a Festool Rotex 150 with some Platin 2 360grit abrasives and some Granat 320 paper for wet sanding. Is it just a question of time and elbow grease?

Here's some of the pics:
    Moomba Paint 4.jpg Moomba Paint 5.jpg Moomba Paint 6.jpg Moomba Paint 7.jpg

Thanks

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by outback98 View Post
    It's amazing what a little elbow grease will do!

Before/After
    Attachment 14356 Attachment 14357

Time and elbow grease is right. You can see that outback 98 started with one worse than yours and got there. Use the 320 (carefully) to cut through it and then start going up to 1500, then rubbing compound. It'll shine up. If you want a set of decals from the group buy like Brandon put on in post #5, I have a set for each of the two sides. $110 shipped does both sides. They are hard to install but if you are careful and patient (which I am not) and use the right technique you can get a nice result like he did.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Kaneboats. And if I end up with scratch marks like this? (yeah, I tried a coarser paper ...)

Moomba Paint 8.jpg

k

Just have to rub them out with a finer paper. If you have any left in the end when you buff they will be as shiny as the rest of the hull and barely noticeable unless the light hits them just right. Try taking some 600 and getting them down a little first though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Looks great! I just finished wet sanding, buffing and waxing my boat. Installed all new decals as well using the wet install process. Worked out great! Let me know if you have any questions on decal install.
    2002 Moomba Outback LSV