Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New engine for the Outback

Working on putting a new crate 5.7 in the Outback. Desperate times call for desperate measures, in the form of two 2x8's and heavy stuff to counterbalance!

2012-05-12_13-12-13_252.jpg
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    2001 American Skier LazAir Edition
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

That's crazy, Brandon! You doing it yourself or do you have some other hands to help out?

It was sketchy at best! The downhill grade of my driveway didn't help much either. I did get a friend over to help in the final alignment. All I have left is the Holley rebuild, attaching accessories, installing 2nd battery, stereo, wake tower with speakers, pop-up cleats, and a final coat of wax...no big deal!
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

Bwahaha! I liked that, "all I have left" start to the sentence. Sounds just like me. Does your wife (if you're married) give you that look like you're a the village idiot? I get, and deserve, that look a lot.

I lucked out, my wife is a big fan of the boat project. Even talked her into helping out with the decal removal, which can be a painfully slow process! As of now I think I'm the sole laborer for the rest of the project, however, I do have financial freedom for the project as well, "Whatever it takes to get it back in the water"!
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

Looks good! I have lowered a couple engines from the trusses in my garage...anything you can do to get a project done!

Maybe I missed another thread but why did you need an engine replacement?

Previous owner said the pulled it out last season after it had an impeller go out. Well, apparently his marina just threw in a new impeller and called it good. I test drove it and bought it with 249 hours, put it on the lake over 4th of July, and the engine seized at 249.8 hours. Taking the old 5.7 into my local machine shop to see if they can do anything with it.
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

Any chance one of you guys with a similar year Outback, with a carbed Indmar, could take a snapshot of your engine bay showing the throttle and shift cable routing? I got the boat back from the marina last fall partially disassembled so I've got no pictures to go off of..
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard

Camp on pool 8 of Allegheny River (Adrian, PA)

Brandon...Impressed with your project. I have tackled a few with my 2003 Outback nothing like that...NICE WORK.

I will be back at the river on 6/8/12 and take some pics of the throttle & shift cable set up. Sorry for the delay but work and graduation parties are getting in the way this weekend. I have a 2003 with a carbed Indmar.
    Mike
    2003 Outback
    Boat name = Lynn Syndrome
    Its a condition that runs in the family...Judy Lynn (mother-in-law) Heather Lynn (wife) & Megan Lynn (daughter)...no known cure...but the boat helps
    New boat for me on 10/9/10.

Mike, thanks for looking out. I actually got the cables run just fine. Got her fired up for the first time tonight! Timing is set, and working on the carb adjustments.

Having a problem with fuel starving after 10-30 seconds of running, not sure if its the fuel pump losing power for some reason...
    Brandon

2000 Moomba Outback LS
    1991 Ski Tastic Inboard