Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GIII Ballast question: Supra 21V (rear bags don't drain fully)

I'd really like to upgrade my bags but right now may not be the appropriate time as I have a few other things that I need to spend my hard-earned moolaa on (so says the wife).

Anyways, I'd like to figure out why my rear bags do not drain all of the way. I have the Gravity III ballast system which I believe uses the aerator style Rule pumps. My center bag in the playpen walkway drains fine, but my two rear bags do not drain fully, actually there's quite a bit left, and I'm resorting to stepping into the locker, picking up the one end of the bag to move the water toward the outlet so it drains. This is not efficient, nor am I happy I have to do this.

Outside of "upgrade your pumps to the reversible pumps", is there anything that I can do about this? I really can't afford to spend another couple hundred upgrading the pumps and spending the time to install them. My season has already started late and it just keeps raining here in the Northeast.

Can someone explain to me in layman's terms the reasoning why this happens? They fill fine, but to drain them fully is work on my part (pretty inefficient system if you ask me; I thought the whole purpose of having a plumbed system with switches is that you don't need to do an manual intervention??)

I'm open to creative ideas. I thought about creating a "wedge" and placing it under the head of the bag to let gravity push the water back but I don't know if that will work.

Any ideas? I know you all on here are smart and filled with ideas. Someone else has had to have this complaint about the GIII system. I have a Supra, but it's the same in the Moomba I imagine.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....hlight=Ballast

I used the y fittings as close to the exit hole and just make sure the vent line is the top y section and the drain is below it.
    I kinda creates some suction as he water moves past he vent.
    Mike mandley's idea. Worked great for my obv.
    Last edited by jmvotto; 05-08-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Make sure the drain port on the bag is close to the floor. Sometimes on my 08 the bag would get moved around and the drain port would get pushed up. We would generally drain our ballast as much as we could while sitting still, then while heading back to the dock go about 10 to get the bow up in the air and then hit the switches to empty again, they would generally empty for another 30 seconds to a minute after that.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Make sure your lines aren't kinked also. My left rear locker bag don't empty all the way either and i think it's because the hose is kinked where it goes behind the panel. I resort to the same thing, step in locker but i unhook the bag and dump the water over the side. Once i get a new hose put in I suspect my drain issue will be resolved

Sent from my home phone..
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

If your boat has the airator type pump then i can only say vent it vent it. I had all the same frustrations and the worst was i had a 400 that wouldnt even drain while full because a air pocket got stuck at the pump. I was literaly jumping up and down on the sac LOL. The biggest problem with air pumps is if you get any air in the sac and it makes it to the pump you get air locked.

Now if your running reversables, then i cant help you as much as i just installed mine and havnt hit the lake yet.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I do the same as Bzubke - get the nose up and let gravity to the "work" for you. I'll sometimes hold off draining completely until we're ready to go so I don't get the start/stop/try-to-restart = airlock on the pump too. Works 99% of the time unless the bag is bunched up or pump pushed around.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

this might be an cheap easy solution to try , just very manual to fill and drain, to unscrew to burp or air the bags

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-p...ting-w749.html

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    this might be an cheap easy solution to try , just very manual to fill and drain, to unscrew to burp or air the bags

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-p...ting-w749.html
    I have those on the end of my bags already. I'm going to snap a picture and maybe some video.

On one end are those fittings and the other is the quick connect barb.

My hoses shouldn't be kinked but I'll check again.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Cigars n scotch View Post
    I have those on the end of my bags already. I'm going to snap a picture and maybe some video.

On one end are those fittings and the other is the quick connect barb.

My hoses shouldn't be kinked but I'll check again.
    do you unscrew the air release when draining? try that and see if it helps.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Mine shouldn't be either but you know what they say, shiznit happens!!

Sent from my home phone..
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV