Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I plan on putting feet on it to get it off the floor a bit. With the xlv freeboard I should not have to worry about waves over the bow.... Famous last words.

Why would the resin not protect the wood. I was told it would waterproof it.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I'd build it out of ply as well. Go that route first and save some headache. Moisture is a beast...it gets where it wants when it wants.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

jm,
    Polyester resin is micro porous. Epoxy resin is a little better. If your boat had no gelcoat coating to seal the resin/glass hull it would sink like a rock.
    You can build a resin-coated mdf box and run a hose over it continuously with no problem....IF drainage is part of the equation and if the box execution is perfect, ie; no seams, no staple/nail/screw depressions, radiused edges, etc. But a boat is a little different. It's a sauna under cover with a little moisture in the bilge. With a rare roller over the bow water gets everywhere. If the box sits on carpet you have a mold and mildew trap that will wick up moisture through any coating and will eventually delaminate even the best grade of solvent based ply. Don't use automotive carpet in any case as it will hold moisture. If carpeting use only a marine grade mildew resistant rubber-backed carpet. Again, the materials are important but the construction and installation details are critical in any case.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    I plan on putting feet on it to get it off the floor a bit. With the xlv freeboard I should not have to worry about waves over the bow.... Famous last words.

Why would the resin not protect the wood. I was told it would waterproof it.

David,

Thanks for the input. I can change the materials. Should I go plywood instead of mdf?

Will the sound be audible in differences. What does earmark use on there sealed boxes for material.
    Last edited by jmvotto; 05-10-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

We use resin-coated or polyurethane-coated (real bed liner) mdf with all the disciplines that I described and quite a few more. We have products in the market that have not failed since '98. As an upgrade we use MEDEX which is a solvent-based construction fiberboard. The MEDEX has greater water resistance and holds screws better than standard mdf. Either is highly acoustically inert. MDO, a ply product, is the equivalent of the MEDEX. I would still coat anything. If you use 0.75" stock I cannot see how the sound will differ. Again, focus on the execution of making a perfect box no matter what you use. No caulked holes to pass the wire. Elevate the box. Build in drainage and evaporation. No automotive carpet. etc.

David
    Earmark Marine

David,

Thanks for the input. I can change the materials. Should I go plywood instead of mdf?

Will the sound be audible in differences. What does earmark use on there sealed boxes for material.

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Build in drainage and evaporation.

David
    Earmark Marine
    Not sure what this means in a sealed enclosure?
    Joe

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Elevating the enclosure off the sole with HDPE pads and always maintaining space between the enclosure and carpeted surfaces.

David
    Earmark Marine

Not sure what this means in a sealed enclosure?
    Joe

got it drainage of the boat with clearance vs the internal speaker drainage.

Thanks gain for chiming in on this..

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

For elevation use hockey pucks they are cheap, easily accessible and durable.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    For elevation use hockey pucks they are cheap, easily accessible and durable.
    That is a pretty good idea
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale