Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    Cypress Garden Dick Popes!! Had those at my Great Uncle Bill's on Lake Norman in NC.
    Those are awesome. I still have a set . I have another set that were my dad's when he was a kid, so they're about 50 years old or so. The bindings are rotten, but I'm a little funny about getting rid of gear.

By far my favorite things are an old set of wooden cypress gardens, and a mid to late 80's composite cypress gardens slalom. I learned how to slalom on the wood ski, and got the slalom the next year. I remember thinking it was awesome because it was the first concave ski I had ever seen... and the fin had holes in it! It threw up a monster spray... felt like I was in a mountain dew commercial. Anyway, I still get it out about once a year and get a pull.

Default Gear

Old Board is on the far left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

These EP jump skis are late 70s or early 80s vintage. I use them strictly for fun, no jumping. I held onto them all these years and recently updated the bindings because they are so stable, easy to control, and great for someone learning to ski. They are the only sentimental stuff still in my possession. Gone are wooden combo skis my Dad bought about forty years ago from Sears and my first slalom ski. Wish I had been smart and kept that stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Wow all this stuff looks awesome. If you Google vintage skis a bunch pictures came up of people making deck chairs, small tables and other neat stuff out of them. I'm seriously thinking about decorating part of my basement with some stuff like this. I think it would be a fun hobby. In my case I still have some of this old stuff so I figure I may put it to use. Shame to throw it away imo.

Sent from my bag phone using TapaTalk
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Way back in the mid 80s, I was just a teenager, struggling. Struggling with school. Bad grades, frustrated and angry. I had just three things that I loved and they were girls, snowboarding and waterskiing. I was smart, resourceful and hard working but I hated being in class all day. Flunked out of German, first period because I was waterskiing at 0-dark thirty in the morning. My dad was furious. Finally, he asked me what my favorite ski was. This was weird, but I played along. "Dad, my favorite ski is an HO Mach I, 67", double high wrap boots. Dad said, "OK, I will make you a deal. You bring your grades up to a C+ or better and I will give you that ski. If you don't, you will work for me all summer with no pay and you will not go out on the boat once." Needless to say, I took that deal and hustled my butt off. Teachers, took notice and gave me time to make up extra credit. I did it. I brought me grades up to a B average and had one of the best summers of my life. My friends, beautiful girls and great times. Today, I just finished summerizing my Moomba and was turning off the lights in the shop when I saw that ski hanging up on the wall. A little faded, but it is still there. It remains as a reminder that hard work pays off. It doesn't hurt to have a dad that was pretty cool too. Years after he gave me the ski, he confessed that he would be in trouble if I did not get those grades. He had already bought the ski before he made the deal. I guess he had faith in me.
    07 Outback V

Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, it's not my problem.

Inspirational. I think skiing can change lifes like that. In my case it is my motiviation for keeping my weight under control.

I do have an old Ski Warm wet suit that is close to 30 years old. Black and flourescent pink, but the pink is not so flourescent anymore. Was not able to wear it for many years - a little too tight. But now it fits so still using it. I have purchased 6 slalom skis over the last 30 years. The first was an Obrien Freestyle - which I could not get rid of fast enough. The second was an old Obrien World Team (used) which I eventually gave back to the original owners (might still be available). The rest I still have and are in use today by various family members.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Still have my mid to late 1970's Obrien Competitor. Got it from a marina that was going out of business. I remember the sticker was around $350 and I got it for $100. $350 was a lot back in the late 70's and I was barely a teenager. Anyway, skiied on that thing every summer for years. The day before we were to stare two-a-days in football my Jr. year went out with a few friends and was the first to hit the water. My big thing was to see how low to the water I could get when cutting. This time I went a little to low and the ski came out from under me and the front end came back and slaped me in the mouth. Lost front two teeth. Made for a fun football practice the next day. Anyway, I keep that ski around just for the memories of the good and not so good times on the lake. It needs new boots now, but it's still ready for action.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

I still have my first competition ski and that is a wooden Cypress Gardens El Diablo grooved ski from the late 1960s. I was 13 years old then and it blew the competition away. It still has the original finish as I would maintain it with varnish on the nicks and waxing it with carnauba floor wax. It is in the attic collecting dust and perhaps someday I might make a display.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Replicant View Post
    Way back in the mid 80s, I was just a teenager, struggling. Struggling with school. Bad grades, frustrated and angry. I had just three things that I loved and they were girls, snowboarding and waterskiing. I was smart, resourceful and hard working but I hated being in class all day. Flunked out of German, first period because I was waterskiing at 0-dark thirty in the morning. My dad was furious. Finally, he asked me what my favorite ski was. This was weird, but I played along. "Dad, my favorite ski is an HO Mach I, 67", double high wrap boots. Dad said, "OK, I will make you a deal. You bring your grades up to a C+ or better and I will give you that ski. If you don't, you will work for me all summer with no pay and you will not go out on the boat once." Needless to say, I took that deal and hustled my butt off. Teachers, took notice and gave me time to make up extra credit. I did it. I brought me grades up to a B average and had one of the best summers of my life. My friends, beautiful girls and great times. Today, I just finished summerizing my Moomba and was turning off the lights in the shop when I saw that ski hanging up on the wall. A little faded, but it is still there. It remains as a reminder that hard work pays off. It doesn't hurt to have a dad that was pretty cool too. Years after he gave me the ski, he confessed that he would be in trouble if I did not get those grades. He had already bought the ski before he made the deal. I guess he had faith in me.
    Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Agree. Forwarded it to my brothers and cousins who, along with me, had a few summers like that-- but not with that reward. Thanks for sharing!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!