Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Sentimental skis or other gear you remember or may still have??

My best friend since I was five years old gave me a pair of trainer skis the other day that we both learned to ski on when we were kids. These aren't exactly what you would call top of the line. But I thought it would be cool to have the girls learn on them like I did.
    Going to sand them down and refinish the wood as well as the fittings and make them as good as new.

Not fancy but I learned just fine on them and its not like they would keep using them once they learned.

You guys have anything like this??

Sent from my bag phone using TapaTalk
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I have a ski-board my Dad made. My brother bought a ski thing where the two skis are connected at the front- has like a half moon shaped piece of wood but look like skis at the back. Neat idea but it always sprayed little kids in the face. My Dad glassed in the center of it and painted the whole thing white. All of my kids started out behind the boat on the "white board". It's kind of fun cuz when they get good and you run up to about 20 mph they can ride one corner of it and get it whipping across the water.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

wish I would have grown up with a family that appreciated the water. we had a family lake house in Mccall that had an old trihull with a 65hp evinrude on the back. my dad spent more weekends working on that boat than we actually saw it ran. other members of the family would not take care of it knowing my old man would spend time on it. that left a very tained taste in his mouth for boating in general, so when the house was sold(think I was around 12 or so), we never saw the water again..

good thing they have mid-life crisis.. gave me an excuse to buy a boat..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Funny story, my father-in-law is exactly like that and is a hoarder, especially when it comes to gear from the boating days of my wife and their family. He's got trainer skis with the old ass style rubber foot mounts that are all rusty on the hardware, and he is always ribbing me about teaching my infant when she gets older to do the chair-and-saucer ( which literally is a circle piece of plywood and an old wooden folding chair.). The newer style chairs don't work as well unfolding he always tells me. So they used this gadget to get pulled behind on their boat. You'd lay down on the saucer with one hand on the rope, the other holding the chair. Say HIT IT! And you'd get up on your knees, plane off and get the chair unfolded and they'd stand on it. Crazy sh!t!!

He's got all of the life jackets and skis and old knee boards as well.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

My dad wasn't much in to boating either so my brother and I acquired old wooden plank skis and an 80lb kneeboard. I was worried enough myself to wear these old paint flaked, rusty binding and shredded rubber bindings on the skis when I was 12-13 yrs old. Can't imagine strapping my kids into them! Surprised we didn't end up with more slivers, scars and tetanus shots from them. Our old gear basically got destroyed the older we got and more stunts we attempted.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Taperflex, Obrien world comp, cypress garden dick popes, new ones were wood grain, the old ones i painted blue, Bull frog knee board, and ski belts... remember those...LOL
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Cypress Garden Dick Popes!! Had those at my Great Uncle Bill's on Lake Norman in NC.

Kane: That "contraption" sounds fun. Get some pics up if you can.

You know it's weird bc my immediate family were not really water enthusiasts. I mean they liked it, but we never owned a boat, or lake home. My visits growing up were with close friends and their families and my Grandmothers brother on Lake Norman in NC. LOVED when we used to go up there. But since I can remember, I have always said I would own a boat and live on the lake. Accomplished one of the two, and every paycheck is getting me closer to the second.

-Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

my ucle still has a mount my dad did for him. It is of a broken oar. I don't remember how he broke it, but my dad had it mounted on a board (like a fish). Lol. He still has it, and this was like 30 years ago!

I still have all my equipment from when my dad owned a ski shop, in my early teens. Don't see myself parting with my Obrien ski. Might someday part with the flourescent ski-warms, but they'll have to be pretty wore out! Lol.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    Cypress Garden Dick Popes!! Had those at my Great Uncle Bill's on Lake Norman in NC.
    Those are awesome. I still have a set . I have another set that were my dad's when he was a kid, so they're about 50 years old or so. The bindings are rotten, but I'm a little funny about getting rid of gear.

By far my favorite things are an old set of wooden cypress gardens, and a mid to late 80's composite cypress gardens slalom. I learned how to slalom on the wood ski, and got the slalom the next year. I remember thinking it was awesome because it was the first concave ski I had ever seen... and the fin had holes in it! It threw up a monster spray... felt like I was in a mountain dew commercial. Anyway, I still get it out about once a year and get a pull.

Wow all this stuff looks awesome. If you Google vintage skis a bunch pictures came up of people making deck chairs, small tables and other neat stuff out of them. I'm seriously thinking about decorating part of my basement with some stuff like this. I think it would be a fun hobby. In my case I still have some of this old stuff so I figure I may put it to use. Shame to throw it away imo.

Sent from my bag phone using TapaTalk
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden