Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Speaker wiring question

If i run the wires from two sepearate speakers(4ohm) to the same bridged channel on my amp which will ba 4 ohm load will the speaker act like they are wired in parallel and drop the the load to 2 ohms?
    Last edited by 06yfzduner; 05-07-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Yes, it will be a 2 ohm load if the speakers are connected in parallel. Be sure your amp is 2 ohm stable in bridged mode, a lot of amps are not.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

thats what i thought, the amp is a jl m700/5. I may be better off just running the speakers to their own channel and sacrificing a little power to the speakers

Quote Originally Posted by 06yfzduner View Post
    thats what i thought, the amp is a jl m700/5. I may be better off just running the speakers to their own channel and sacrificing a little power to the speakers
    The amp can handle a 2ohm load if you just leave it as is, wire the 2 speakers together and plug that to 1 channel, you will get more power from the amp then on a 4ohm but not hurt the amp.

Why do you want to bridge it?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

The speakers im talking about are kicker hlcd's and want the highest power i can get to them

The speakers im talking about are kicker hlcd's and want the highest power i can get to them
    Ohh ok then you wont like this answer LOL. I wouldnt run them on a 700/5 of any kind due tot he amount of work the Sub side is doing and now your going to demand that from the reg amp side. Im not a fan on mixing a tower and sub combo.

I would look into another amp for my tower. Thats my thoughts though, you gotta remember its worse to speakers to starve them of power then over power them. You dont give them the reccomended power and your asking for them to blow early due to lack of power.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Yo-

Phil from Kicker here.

First off, when wiring a KM6500.2 horn in parallel with a KM6500.2 mid, the resulting load is still 4-ohms. The crossovers on the back of the horns and the midrange drivers take care of that. You will show 4-ohms to a bridged 4-channel amp per side.

Second, I agree with Mike, I prefer to see a dedicated tower amplifier. It is not that the 5-channel amp might work for a while, but you really tax the power supply running subs and towers of an amp, way more so than if the 4-channel section of the 5-channel amp were driving in-boats.

Third, while HLCDs are efficient, using less power for a given output than a typical coax, we all know that we WAIL on our tower speakers, and clipping distortion will take out a HLCD driver more quickly than over-powering. I have found I really like 250 RMS a side out of a tower amp for these. A Bridged Kicker IX500.4 is a good example. Warmly over-powering a set will be better than grossly under-powering a set.

These guys are steering you right to use the 700.5 for sub and in-boats and use the other amp for the towers, bridging 4 channels of the 6-channel amp down to two to run your Kicker KM6500.2 tower system. Wire one horn and one mid to each side of the bridged set. You will have two channels of the 6-channel amp left open, but don't worry about that. Those two channels could even be used to do something different in the future.

You really will be happier getting your tower speakers off of the amp that is also driving your sub. The result should be better power supply management and greater headroom.

Basic system setup for KM6500.2
    * BASS BOOST OFF
    * Crossover set to HI PASS
    * Crossover freq. set to 150 - 200 Hz (the higher 200 Hz setting handles more power)

Holler here or PM if you have further questions, or if I get busy and don;t track this thread, PM me and tell me to get off my backside and respond...

Have fun!
    Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 05-07-2012 at 05:08 PM.

The other thing to think about is that the speakers will sound better with the amp at 4 ohms than at 2. Even if an amp can push 2 ohms, you sacrifice some sound quality by doing so. I would stay at 4 ohms until you can get an amp that will give you the power you need at 4 ohms, jmo.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

The amp will push 75w x 4 at 4 ohms and 300 w to the sub i thought that would be plenty of power to the towers

Are you running the KM6500.2? they are 200 RMS meaning you need close to 200 as a minimum. HLCD speakers take a lot of power.
    [COLOR="#696969"]