Default Would I benefit from adding check valves?

Would I benefit from adding check valves to the vent lines of my ballast bags? My understanding is if I added check valves the bags wouldn't fill with air while trailering and would empty more completely.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

I'm wondering the same thing because I have both of those problems...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Lsvboombox gave me this tip, cuz I am wondering the same thing. Put your thumb or cork in the thru hull while draining to see if it drains better. If the answer is yes, get a vent.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Yes yes yes.. My bags look like they were drained with a vacuum sealer after I put the check valves in

This whole thread boggles my mind. I see the point to check valves but....

Why do you even vent the bag? To allow the air out as it fills with water.
    Why do you have air in there? Because its not a sealed bag due to Vents.
    Why did you put the vent in there in the first place? To allow the air out that is in there because i have Vents.

Moral, if you have Vents, you should have a problem with air being traped in your bags when filling.
    I have vents on all my bags and when my pumps drain there is nothing left in the bag. The only bag that gets air from driving down the road is the front due to the curved shape on the boat at the nose.

Do i run check valves? Yes 1 on the Y connector on the drain from my IBS and ski locker bag so the IBS doesnt drain into the ski locker bag when draining it.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Lsvboombox gave me this tip, cuz I am wondering the same thing. Put your thumb or cork in the thru hull while draining to see if it drains better. If the answer is yes, get a vent.
    Can you explain this a little better. By thru hull, do you mean the actualy spot on the side of the boat where the water drains out?

Thanks.
    Levi
    Former owner of a 08 Mobuis XLV, Cat340, 2650 Lbs.
    I miss that boat!

Quote Originally Posted by 501 View Post
    Can you explain this a little better. By thru hull, do you mean the actualy spot on the side of the boat where the water drains out?

Thanks.
    On the side of the where the water would overflow thru the vent line. The water drains out the bottom. You are basically cutting off any airflow into the bags allowing to suck all air and water out.

That has never really worked for me, with the main pump being airator style i get air no matter what from the bottom threw hull to the sprinkler tree every time i pull the boat out of the water. So even if it sucked the bag dry, once i pull the boat out and put it back into the water the first time i turn the pump on it pushes all that air in the line into the bag. Thus needing the vent because the bag has air in it.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Yeah i dont know of the value of check valves with aerator pumps. All my info is geared to reversible pumps which is what most of the people in this thread have.

If you dont have the check valves you can insert your finger in the vent thru hull and see the amount of suction you actually get. Without check valves the pumps just suck in air and do not drain very well. Check valves are a night and day difference with reversible pumps (with vent lines)

And to the OP, i get no air in any of the 4 bags i have plumbed into my boat
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 05-05-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Mine was an 08 with the Aerator pumps so that is why it didn't make sense, my setup was different.

Thanks.
    Levi
    Former owner of a 08 Mobuis XLV, Cat340, 2650 Lbs.
    I miss that boat!