Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exile ZLD question

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335113008.586557.jpgHey folks, installed my ZLD and am now running wires and rca's.

I have a question though.

In the instructions there's two hot connections for power, one for the battery and the other for "connect to switched turn on from source".

Where does that hot wire go to, the head unit? We're confused. Tried calling exile but they are receiving a high volume of calls.

Attached pic.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

The B+ and GND wires need to share the same battery source as your amps an head-unit. The 3rd wire is the remote turn-on wire from the head-unit. Its the same signal that the head-unit sends to the amps to turn them on. I would run all 3 of those along with the RCA's over to the amp wall and terminate them there. The turn-on lead can piggy-back into the turn-on wire port on one of your amps. The B+ and GND can do to the same or take them to your distrobution blocks. I would suggest an in-line fuse for that B+ run.

Thanks MLA, what size fuse for the B+?

What size is being used to fuse the ZLD itself? What size wire are you running to it?

I ended up just getting 1 amp fuses and holder. ZLD has the same.

My tower amp is not coming on though but all other components are so now were troubleshooting that.

Was the tower amp powering up before? The ZLD only handles the signal and would not effect the turn-on for the amp. Double check to make sure the turn-on didnt wiggle loose while you where in there working on the ZLD wiring. If the amp is powering up but has no output, then check to be sure all the RCA cables are fully seated and the tower volume is up. You could also run an RCA set directly to the tower amp just for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Was the tower amp powering up before? The ZLD only handles the signal and would not effect the turn-on for the amp. Double check to make sure the turn-on didnt wiggle loose while you where in there working on the ZLD wiring. If the amp is powering up but has no output, then check to be sure all the RCA cables are fully seated and the tower volume is up. You could also run an RCA set directly to the tower amp just for testing.
    To answer your question MLA, no it was not powering up before.

Yeah so my father and I are stuck on what's wrong. We had to throw in the towel for the day. Let me run some things by you folks and hopefully someone who has a ZLD or knows them (or even Brian from Exile) can chime in.

Here is my setup for clarifications sake (without having to draw it out and upload the image):

Components of my system:
    Head Unit -It's this, Kenwood KTS-MP400MR
    Kicker ZX 200.4 amp - powers the cabins
    Rockford Fosgate P500.2 amp - to power towers
    2 Wet Sounds Pro 80 tower speakers
    Exile ZLD - zone line driver
    Cabins are stock Kicker speakers
    Single battery (for now, I am getting a second)

First, I left all wiring on the Kicker ZX200.4 as-is and just re-positioned it up on the inside panel it was originally mounted on to allow me room to fit the RF amp so I didn't need to build another amp rack.

Now, let's focus on the ZLD. I have it connected as the following:
    RCA (rear) outputs to the RF P500-2 amp
    RCA (front) outputs to the Kicker ZX200.4 amp (connected to the AMP2 inputs on the amp; the only available RCA jacks)
    RCA (main) outputs to the back of the head unit to RCA jack.

The ZLD has a connect with a B- (battery ground), B+ (battery positive), R (Connect to Switched turn on from source). We have the B- and B+ going to their respective locations. Now this damn R wire! The R wire we originally thought had to tie into the head unit power, but after a while of racking our brains and then reading the RF amp directions it showed us we should connect it to that amps REM input.

Rockford amp is grounded to the battery and the B+ is connected to the positive on the battery with an inline 100A fuse (I purchased a RF amp kit when I bought the amp).

I read on here and saw unanimously that all grounds should share in common, and that is what we did. The Rockford amp is not turning on at all for some reason. We thought the R wire from the ZLD (which is getting current and supposed to return it (I think based off that connector)) would "turn on" the amp when the stereo switch was turned on and all other components get hot. No go. Again, the ZLD is getting current but it's not returning it.

So without the amp turning on the Pro80's wont be powered either. My dad did try taking the B+ wire from the RF amp and connecting directly to the + on battery and it did power up the RF amp.

We need help. 2 weekend days of stereo install and ended up with nothing to show for it, we're pretty bummed (me especially).

Now let me just disclose for anyone who attempts to help, I am no where near an electronics novice and I know very little about this stuff. I leaned on my dad to help a great deal. So if you can "dumb it down" for me in your responses or when asking me to do this or that I would really appreciate it.

Also, you'll notice I am not using a power distribution block or perko, that will come later. Any recommendations on what distro block to get would be also appreciated (I dont know which to get).

I'm going to call Brian at Exile tomorrow to inquire about the ZLD not returning power. The thing stayed stone cold the whole time.

Please help! Thank you.
    Last edited by Cigars n scotch; 04-22-2012 at 08:16 PM.

An amp thats not turning should be an easy one to isolate. For an amp to power up, it only needs: B+, GND and a 12V remote turn-on signal from the head-unit. All you need to determine the cause is either a volt meter or a 12V test light.

With either of those, you will be able to test for which of the 3 is missing.

The ZLD does not turn anything on, it gets turned on. You need to head-units remote turn-on output (blue or blue w/white) wire to signal the amps and ZLD to turn on. Along with the Rockford amp's B+ and GND, there is a 3rd terminal. This is where the remote turn-on signal from the head-unit gets connected two. The ZLD needs this same signal to work.

Since the Tower amp did not work before, I would suggest resolving that problem first, before continue with the ZLD install or any issues with it.

cigars - Have a look at this video. We made it just for these purposes.

[TechTip Video]

Exile is getting a lot of calls. Just leave a msg and rob will give you a ring back. usually in about 15-20 mins. If you pm me your number I'd be happy to ring you myself and walk you thru some of the ins and outs.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Well it pays to be patient and take a step back to clear your head (and also have another mind to think of solutions). This morning I got a call from my dad, he and a guy he works with figured it out and everything is working! Yeah! So I went over (took a sick day today; allergies are killing me) and got to listen to the pro80's and work with the ZLD. AWESOME! It sounds 100x better than just having stock cabin speakers and the towers are amazing. I didn't have a ton of time so I didn't get to tune it but that will happen this weekend when I have time.

Thanks Brian, but we figured it out. Very simple issue.