Default Speaker solder repair question

I finally got my boat back from having stereo upgrades etc done and had a listen while boat was in shop. While finally sitting and listening to the stereo while dewinterizing,i noticed a slight cutting in/out of one of my Polk speakers.I was listening to the radio so thought at first it was the station but soon enough this one speaker was only workin half capacity...Pulled the speaker out and low and behold there is a little capaciter kinda thing just kinda dangling. Now after fiddling around a bit i notice one of the solder connections has broken. So what i'm wondering is to fix this i want to resolder ,But do i need special solder to fix this,hopefully i can just heat up the little dab on the speaker and just heat and solder but if i need more what kind do i need.?

I really hope i can fix this as it seems so simple and Polks are really hard to find and i hate to have to buy a pair just for this?
    07 Outback DD

I'm afraid you will have to get a complete Exile audio system makeover at this point. Be sure to get a pairs of Brian's ball while you are at it.

Or just heat up the solder that is there and reattach. Not enough solder? No worries, you can snag some at Radio Shack or Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, most auto parts stores, etc.. Rosin Core Electrical Solder, not plumbing solder.

Edit: What kind of Polks do you have? Polks DB651 can be found pretty much everywhere.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Lol on the exile system......

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

+1

Sent from my home phone..
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

That is a delicate repair because it doesn't take much heat to toast the capacitor and you have to solder in the immediate proximity. The heat will get conducted into the cap because it is so close and when soldering you heat the wire enough that the wire melts the solder. In other words, you do not heat the solder with the iron directly. So use a pencil tip iron with a heat control. If you ruin the cap, a replacement non-polarized cap of the identical value is readily available and costs next to nothing.

David
    Earmark Marine

I've had to do this a couple of times now too. What worked best for me was heating the speaker side of the connection with the soldering iron first (more material so it takes longer to heat.) Then poke the capacitor wire back into place and start heating that with the iron as well. Touch the solder to the cap wire and as soon as it's hot enough the solder will flow, smear it around to make sure you have good coverage, done. Good luck!

I like the replace with Exile comment... maybe next year and thanks for the ideas. Figured its electrical solder . I'm a plumber and have tons of Copper solder that of course is no use. NICE!! anyways will give it a try. Polks are actually rare to find here in local stores unless a promotion is going on . I bought mine outta the US and then had a forum member ship them to me.Thanks Cab. As for replacing the resister if need .should be able to find the parts for that if need be .Thanks David.
    07 Outback DD