Thread: 3M Rock Guard

Hybrid View

Default 3M Rock Guard

So I'm wondering if anyone has put the clear 3M rock guard on the back of their boats and around the edges of the swim platform to protect the gel coat from getting chipped from people putting on their wake boards?? If so, any pealing? The guy that did my tint said he'd "try" doing my boat but he can't guarantee that the edges will stay stuck.
    Any thoughts??

There are no chips or scrapes there now, and I want to keep it that way.
    2010 MOOMBA LSV
    340 CAT
    ACME 1235
    3100#'s

I wouldn't think that it's any different doing a boat than doing a car in regards to keeping it stuck? my guess would be that your tint guy doesn't want to warranty the stuff since it probably doesn't say in the brochures from 3m that it's designed for boat use in the water all the time. the back of the boat should be relatively cheap since it's a pretty flat surface and I don't think i'd run it around the corners to the sides as that's where you would potentially get "lift" from water forcing itself under the leading edge. I don't know that I'd personally mess with the swim platform as that's a small area and would probably lend itself to peeling.

I had 3m clearbra on my last evo. that stuff is amazing for protecting rock chips. sold the car after 1.5 years without a single blemish on the front end. next new car will have it again. def. worth the cash imo..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I put it on my transom last boating season, and short of a bad DIY install(Air Bubbles) it has stayed put just fine. I'm with Sandm, this stuff is worth putting on to protect your investment. As stated, I wouldn't try wrapping around edges of the boat. I have a bunch of the 3m door edge guards for vehicles laying around and when my gatorpad wears off the swimdeck, I may try something like that on edges of the swim platform?
    08' Mobius LS, Black Betty, Powder Coated Black Racks, Black Mirror Mount, Black Speakers, Transom Shield, Homemade Black Vinyl Wind Damn, Soon to be black powder coated Z5