Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Overpriced Boats?

I have been searching for a new boat and I came across this boat.

http://waco.craigslist.org/boa/2957170762.html

Is it me or does the price of this boat seem a little high? Nada came out to be much lower. I contacted the seller to see what they had to say. It a quite amusing when after I showed them the nada, they replied with "It's not an SK MODEL first off!!" Now I may not be a moomba expert (I do know my nautiques ) but I seriously doubt this boat is worth $25k. Have you guys ever encountered someone asking way too much and getting offended when you try to point out the current value?

Way over priced as the NADA shows average retail around $20k. Most of the time these people will have that much owed on their loans so they are clueless in many ways. The boat won't sell and you can wait until the price drops or move on. I use the NADA all the time as a basis to determine a price on a product as both parties need to start from somewhere. You were trying to educate the person and they can be offended but when everyone points out the flaw in the price so the seller may eat the $5K needed to sell the boat. Waco may be a hot market where prices may be above market price which is similar to where I live so I go elsewhere to buy where the prices are reasonable.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Way over priced as the NADA shows average retail around $20k. Most of the time these people will have that much owed on their loans so they are clueless in many ways. The boat won't sell and you can wait until the price drops or move on. I use the NADA all the time as a basis to determine a price on a product as both parties need to start from somewhere. You were trying to educate the person and they can be offended but when everyone points out the flaw in the price so the seller may eat the $5K needed to sell the boat. Waco may be a hot market where prices may be above market price which is similar to where I live so I go elsewhere to buy where the prices are reasonable.
    Waco, TX is about 60 miles from me and that area has some of the worst water available to them. The only lake in Waco is polluted with urine, feces, and fertilizer runoff from the many cow dairies upstream from the the river that feeds it. The water is so bad from that lake that even local restraurants have on their menus that they have bottled watered or in-house purifiers. There are no cliffs or any features around the lake to block prevailing winds so any decent breeze will ruin the day. The Brazos River that flows through town is sketchy and narrow that most boats will not or cannot even turn around with a rider in tow. Plus, if more than 4-5 boats are pulling riders it's all blown out from rollers because it's so tight and such a short pass. That area is a bad market for a tow boat to say the least so I don't know how this seller could be asking for much more than NADA unless he/she is upside down that much...plus it's a direct drive. If I lived in Waco, Tx I would never consider a tow boat personally...it sucks that bad IMO.
    Last edited by you da man; 04-29-2012 at 04:41 AM.

I actually thought the boat was worth more like $15k but i didnt tell them that, and i wasnt sure whether its an outback or Outback ls. It seems to me that ive seen moombas being asked for more than nada while brands like mastercraft and malibu are going for below nada. Dont get me wrong, ive heard good things about moomba but the other brands are ranked better.

To me it looks like a base model Outback. Not LS or LSV. I would say that boat is overpriced at $25k.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I'd say 15 to 17,500
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Don't get me wrong, ive heard good things about moomba but the other brands are ranked better.
    Curious to know by whom, criteria and when this was done.

I find NADA difficult to use with boats b/c of the way they value options. I had an individual contact me about my OBV and his NADA value and mine were about $10k apart.

I contacted NADA directly a coulpe years ago to ask them about boat pricing as I noticed that they did not change frequently over time. They indicated that they only update boat prices about every 3 months. Not that this would account for a $5K difference in value, but something to keep in mind. I was also thinking the $15-$17K range when I looked at it. But if they have Stargazer and a high $ sound system, and heaters and a shower and ... who knows.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

only thing that really matters in pricing is whether somebody is willing to pay what your asking- but I think a quick search will show better options for much less- for example this 2001 outback LS for 16,900 looks like a good boat. There's no better negotiating tool than "no thanks I found a better option"

http://boats.oodle.com/view/2001-moo...-knoxville-tn/

or this outback in Texas

http://texas.findanyboat.com/boats/l...a-outback.html
    Last edited by skiyaker; 04-29-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

[QUOTE=you da man;175927]Waco, TX is about 60 miles from me and that area has some of the worst water available to them. The only lake in Waco is polluted with urine, feces, and fertilizer runoff from the many cow dairies upstream from the the river that feeds it. The water is so bad from that lake that even local restraurants have on their menus that they have bottled watered or in-house purifiers. E]

This sounds disgusting if accurate. Gross.

Sent from my bag phone using TapaTalk
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden