Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Perko Switch run-down

Can one of you stereo guru's give me a quick run down on how the perko is suppose to work. Reason im asking is my stereo guy did the install at the end of last season when he did the towers and second battery and second amp.

I usually turn switch to 2 and let the stereo go and I have never had problems yet but the other day I forgot to turn the perko switch on and the stereo was working off the stereo and acc switch.

I thought if the perko was moved to the off position all power should be off and stereo system wouldn't power up

Sent from my iPhone's cooler than your droid utilizing Tapatalk
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Was it just the head unit that powered up? If so they might have hooked that direct to keep the memory on you radio stations.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

No sir, speakers to.

Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Everything that would go to the positive of your batteries should now be going to the common stud on the switch.
    Last edited by bzubke1; 04-26-2012 at 10:02 AM.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

The only thing that should go to the batteries is the power wire from the switch and the grounds.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

You can set it up other ways where just your stereo runs on battery #2. But, mine is as described above. Everything on the common stud. Battery 1 runs everything and 2 is isolated. If I run #1 dead I switch to #2 and I'm good to go. I charge #1 full during the week and then switch to "both" and keep charging till both are topped up (that way I don't have to take the cover off #2 to charge it). Then I switch back to #1, test fire in the driveway, and head out for the water.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Yes the boat did start with the perko in the off position. That's how i noticed "I think this might not be hooked up right". Boat started, tunes Going, perko in off position I'm not sure I fully understand how it should work.

Battery 1 is the battery that came with boat and should be used to start boat only, this is what I asked the installer to do anyways.

Battery 2 was bought when I bought the perko, towers, and 2nd amp and I THOUGHT all electronics would run off of battery 2. Thus saving battery 1 for starts on the water.

Normal routine is get the boat off trailer and in the water. While wifey is parking truck I get radio going etc and switch perko to 2, again I thought this would safe guard battery 1 to ensure starts.

Sounds like perko not hooked up right or am I not fully understanding the purpose/capabilities of the perko

Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

I had this exact same thing happen to me. The installer left the power wire coming from the engine attached to your stock battery most likely, that's why it will start regardless of where the switch is. I assume because it's a pita he didnt put a new ring terminal on the power wire and attach it to the common stud on the switch.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

So basically the way it sits now it's worthless?

Tell me if I'm wrong but if I have the switch set to 2 then I should only be drawing power from battery 2 while listening to stereo and battery 1 stays charged? I'm not sure if that is happening now. Also, when should I move the switch to ALL and what does that accomplish? Charge both batteries I assume

Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Yes, on 1 or 2 they should be isolated. On "all" you can charge both -- or run on both but that to me defeats the purpose.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!