Default life jackets for kids on your boat

i know different states dictate different rules but in ohio boats over 20 feet don't require a life jacket for youngsters. i have 2 little ones a third due in 4 weeks and my little cousins and nieces ranging from 3-17 years old. i demand that kids wear a life jacket until they become a teenager after that i leave it up to their parents. of course they have to be a good swimmer to but at what age do you say ok no more life jacket?
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

The laws can be somewhat ambiguous. WA state law says "12 years of age or younger on a vessel under 19 feet long." (http://www.parks.wa.gov/boating/faq/) Most of our wake boats are over 19ft - but you gonna let your little ones go without? NOT!

There was a big discussion on this in another similar thread and everybody was chiming in.

For me, I don't care if the law says 12 years old. If you're 15 and can't swim very well, guess what? Life jacket is on and no it doesn't matter if you look cool or not. I made my kids prove to me that they were strong swimmers before ditching the jackets around 12-13 yrs old for general riding in the boat. Bringing friends along? They gotta prove it too.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Im with berg on this one prove you can swim well for 12 and up. NYS just implemented a law a few years ago. Between the dates of Nov 1 to may 1 all passengers in a Less than 21 ft boat, canoe, kyak etc, must WEAR a Pfd . Its a cold water law Anyone 12 or under in a boat less than 65 feet must wear one always when in motion unless inside a fully enclosed cuddy cabin, etc.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

12 and under at all times. If you're 13+ and a good swimmer you don't have to wear it in the boat.

SC law is 12 and under must wear it in a boat 16' or less (or less than 16', I don't remember).
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

13 or younger or if you do not know how to swim. Some times it sucks being the bad guy but I become the bad guy for the parents since they can go "Well it is Mikes boat and his rules so you better do it or he will leave you at the car" I think I have this wrong since I should be the fun person to be around.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Texas states must wear USCG approved for anyone "younger than 13 in boats under 26 feet" while vessel is underway. While ashore, docked, or under anchor then life vest not required.
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

not many kids here, but I follow rc on this one..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten