Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Perko switch & alternator

Installed two new marine batteries and a perko switch. #1 for starting and #2 for the radio. The kid at the stereo shop told me if I ran the perko switch on all (charging both batteries at same time) I would burn up my alternator. Is this the case Thanks 2004 XLV

No, it will not burn your alternator up. Dual battery switches have been installed on boats for years. Now we have ACR's and VSR's that combine the banks automatically with no ill effects.

Under normal conditions, the primary starting batter rarely gets depleted, so combining it with a house battery that has been beat on for 6 hours at the party cove, is no different then starting the engine on "1", then switching over to "2". The alternator sees about the same load. Now, how deep we run down the house battery and how often we do this does ask the alternator to work harder then normal though. So, over time, this can accelerate the wear on the alternator, but not burn it up.

There are exceptions to the rule, like having 12 6 volt batteries all run down and then expecting the alternator to do it things. it wont, sorry. With an average system of 1-3 amps and a typical 2 battery system, I would not worry about running in the combined mode, but I would also caution to not expect the alternator to recharge a dead house battery. Alternators do fine to keep up with normal loads and replenish whats normally used, but 2-3 amps is not "normal". Coupled with a 15 minute drive back to the slip or launch ramp, the alt will not have enough time to put back into a house battery, whats been drawn out over the course of a day. This is where an external mode of charging comes into play.

Thanks now I can have some fun

I've never had less than 3 batteries in any of my boats (1 starting, 2 stereo) and now I currently have 4 batteries (1 starting, 3 stereo) and always run my Perko on "1 + 2" (aka: "all" setting) and no ill effects. Earmark Marine did my boats installs so I go by their instructions (per David owner). When floating more than 15-20 min I'll switch my Perko to "2" which is the stereo bank. Currently using 2 onboard chargers so when I get back to my storage unit I just plug in and I'll have topped off batteries in about 5-6 hours of charge time.

Can you take a pic or share a link to an onboard charger?
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

I think this is the one the factory installed in my Mojo as part of the dual battery package.

http://www.pmariner.com/productFeatu...oductNum=41221

And this gives some price ranges

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CDAQ8wIwAw

Wolf where is it located in the boat?

Thanks for the links

Mine is in the cubby behind the observer's seat, mounted to the amp board.

I love having the charger. I can play music while I'm cleaning the boat and then just plug the charger in and not have to worry about the batteries being drained.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

I would love to see pics of your cubbys and how it's all set up. Now I'm thinking I need one of these. Damn you!