Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tune Up Time?

Default Tune Up Time?

I have a 05 xlv with the 340 Indmar. I have about 300hrs on it and it looks like the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are stock. Any one know the part numbers for the cap, rotor, and wires? It also appears that I have to take the exhaust manifolds off to get at 2 of the spark plugs?
    Go big or go home!

Call Discount Inboard Marine. Tell them what you have and they will get you the right parts. Those guys are some of the best to deal with.
    Last edited by MOOMBA_97; 04-24-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "

I don't have info to help with your parts search. I wouldn't think that you would have to take an exhaust manifold off to remove some spark plugs. I thought the v-drive compartments had dividers that could be removed for access to tight areas.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

'06 with the 340 ext. you don't have to take the manifolds off, but it helps to have a swivel and an extension on your socket. carefully take them out and watch for crossthreading as you are putting them back in. iirc, 2 of them are somewhat difficult to get to without lowering the dividers and hunching on your side in the lockers. I broke a spark plug wire on my first plug change with one of them on the back(front) of the motor closest to the transom..

seems that you have to use the spark plug socket(and it needs to be a real thin one) to loosen the plugs then take it off and do the rest by hand. with the socket still on the plug, it won't thread out enough to clear the ex. mani.. again, all iirc. been several months since I fogged her...

oh ya, forgot, I bought plug wires off ebay for around $25/set. same factory indmar wires that were on the engine new. plugs have been swapped out several times from autozone for standard efi 5.7sbc plugs. no help on the cap as i have not replaced it yet..
    Last edited by sandm; 04-24-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

The part numbers should be in the owners manual.

300 hours is not a lot of hours. I would think everything except the plugs are fine. I would recommend changing the plugs more frequently than the 300 hr mark. 100 hrs is recommended
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

100 hrs on spark plugs is insane. on cars the interval is 100,000 miles....

i swap mine out on the boat once a year after i burn off the fogging oil just because i dont want to have a misfire from the fogging oil fouling a plug but not because of hours.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Skidm will get you what you need. Thats where I got my tune-up stuff from
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    100 hrs on spark plugs is insane. on cars the interval is 100,000 miles....
    on cars, the interval is 100k when using the right plugs. not all plugs are designed to go 100k miles and the ones that are can be quite expensive.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    '06 with the 340 ext. you don't have to take the manifolds off, but it helps to have a swivel and an extension on your socket. carefully take them out and watch for crossthreading as you are putting them back in. iirc, 2 of them are somewhat difficult to get to without lowering the dividers and hunching on your side in the lockers. ..
    One of the few reasons I like the DD.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD