Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Help with Amp Wiring

Im getting ready to install the amps for tower speakers and subwoofer. I think i'm on the right track i"m just unsure of where to hook the power wire. The battery switch has 1 hooked to battery 1. 2 to the helm power and power wire from the engine. 1+2 is hooked to battery 2. I confirmed in the manual it is supposed to be this way. I'm confused. Any advise?

-2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Get your power from the dist. block from battery 2, as well as the ground. Bat 1 and two should be grounded together, but I think it is common practice to run the distro + and - from batt 2
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

The "Where" wire needs to go to the "C" post of the switch. This keeps the entire audio system sharing the same power source.

The main B+ to engine and helm BUSS needs to be hooked to the "C" post also.

BATT-2 needs to be hooked to the "2" post.

The loads will draw from what ever battery you have the switch turned to.
    Last edited by MLA; 04-20-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Brandon,
    All grounds are common including the dual batteries, helm ground buss, engine block and all audio electronics grounds.
    Perko, Blue Sea or other standard dual battery switch:
    Switch terminal #1 goes to battery #1.
    Switch terminal #2 goes to battery #2.
    Switch common/output post connects to the alternator/starter feed, the helm supply buss via a breaker and all audio electronics via a master breaker/fuse and distribution. You can stack three terminal lugs on this single common/output post.
    Nothing besides the dual battery switch connects directly to the battery(s) positives. The only exception would be a bilge pump/float switch if applicable and the HU memory as optional.
    The above is the only acceptable way.
    Note, if we are adding an ACR/VSR this scheme would change substantially.
    Btw, you can get a comprehensive schematic from Odin.

David
    Earmark Marine

Below is the diagram of how it is hooked up. I knew the power from the distribution block needed to go to the common lug. I guess I just don't understand why it comes wired this way from the factory and it makes me hesitant to change it. The boat has a pro mariner prosport12 battery charger, where should I have the switch when I am charging the batteries?
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

If your charger is a dual-bank, the switch should be off when charging. This isolates the 2 battery banks so the batteries can be conditioned independently.

Thanks got the batteries all charged up now.

Both amps require 4 gauge power wire, what gauge wire should I use from the distribution block to the battery?
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Speaking of distribution blocks. I need to purchase one but I have no idea what I need. I did some eBay and amazon searches and theres all different kinds. I don't want to buy the wrong one.

What info do you guys need from me to help me out? I looked at those in the search from eBay votto posted, just not sure of the differences in the brand/model.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

I ended up going with a non fused distribution block and a fuse holder. It was just cheaper.

Cigars, I think we just need to know how many, and what amplifiers you will be installing.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Ah, I have two.

Kicker zx200.4
    Rockford Fosgate p500-2
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale