Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED wiring help

Default LED wiring help

I purchased some of the superbright led 4-chips and will be wiring them up in all of my cupholders this weekend. Does anyone know where I can get some crimp-on or heat shrink quick connects that have both positive and negative terminals? I may add ss cupholders later and don't want to have to rewire everything when the time comes. Would I be better off just crimping a bullet connector to each positive and ground wire?
    02 Mobius LSV

I'm real curious to see an actual install of this topic.

Where are you running wires?
    How are you powering these LEDs?
    How do they fit into the cup holder?
    How do they stay there fitted to the cup holder?

I know nothing about these LEDs but they seem all the craze with lots of folks. Just curious about how people are doing this.

Not trying to jack your question, thought maybe you could answer based on what your doing.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

You're looking for some sealed crimp connectors like these - http://www.picocanada.com/en/product/3665.php

I found some at HarborFreight pretty cheap - they're like a basic crimp connector then you hit them with some heat to shrink down the casing onto your wire for a seal. I used these on my ballast bumps in case I need to remove or replace them sometime down the road.

C&S - hiding the wires is pretty easy following existing wiring behind panels, seats, etc. I used a spare accessory switch on the dash to power my LEDs. Others have added new switches - checkout Ian's setup. I believe most guys are drilling and glueing them into the cupholders if the light does not fit snugly into the existing drainhole on their own.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Are you going with the single color or RGB??

I installed 6 of the following 4chip RGB LEDs in my cupholders

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-surface-mount-led

I ended up using 16-22gauge butt connectors. I was going to attempt to solder all of the wires but said F' it as it was taking to long.

I unscrewed the black cap at the bottom of the cupholders. After doing this you'll have enough room to fish the wire thru. Little advice, when you stick the LED down leave some room for water to drain out of the cupholder.

If you're using the superflux LEDs,
    superflux.jpg
    they'll fit right in the drain hole once you remove the black fitting at the end. I didnt use any silicone and they held in place all summer. If you do this route, you might want to drill a small hole in the bottom of the cupholder so water/beer will drain.

I also installed 2 of the superflux chips into my bow speakers, so they have many uses.

Advice for anybody going the RGB route. Make sure you have your RGB controller and test all of the lights before installing. Some of the RGB strips were marked incorrectly so I tested each strip and cupholder LEDs to make sure the Red, Green, Blue wires are correct
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

Possibly a dumb question.........On those strip LEDs.....how exactly do you wire them up?
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

One wire at a time
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    One wire at a time
    Ahhh hahahahaha ahhhh hahahah! Look is the funny guy! Regular ole Dana Carvey. Hey guys, don't have my glasses on, is that Bill Cosby we have here?! (In my Matt Foley voice)

Ok, I am an idiot, but where to you plug each strips two wires?
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Friday night PWI starts early - doesn't get much better than this...

One continuous loop - just tie into it where the lights are. This diagram should explain it in great detail.

ledwiring.jpg
    Last edited by bergermaister; 04-20-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: don't know what the $&%^ I'm doing
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

HAHA!! Well it's simpler than I thought. I am short a few Yuenglings though. Be right back, running to the store.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

i don't care who you are that's funny

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet