Default Ballast is filling on its own

My ballast bags are filling on there own. I thought that when you filled the bags to the level that you wanted that they would stay there. Not mine they will fill till they burst. The only way to get them to cooperate is to turn the sileniod off. Is this the way everybodys elses xlv ballast works

Aquaholic
    2005 Moomba 23 XLV
    340 HP, Clarion 5 HU, 2 Clarion wired digital remotes, 2 Wetsounds 485's, 6 Wetsounds XS 650's, 1 JL 12w6 Sub, 1 Wetsound WS420, 2 JL 300/2amps, 1 Wetsounds Sync 4 amp, 1 JL 500/1 amp. Teak swim platform, Perfect pass. Flip up Bow Light, Chrome tower Nav Light, Chrome thru hulls, Black Bimini, 2 750 Flyhigh bags, 1100 center Flyhigh bag, Acme 1235 14.25 x 14.5 prop, Dual battery system. Evolution Cover. Chrome Blower Vent Covers.

Default Replying to Topic 'Ballast is filling on its own'

There have been several postings about this. It is likely that you have a manual toggle switch in the wrong position (if I remember the postings correctly). From the owner's manual:

"The Bertha Ballast system utilizes a manifold and a solenoid valve to independently fill each bag or tank. The solenoid valves hava a small toggle switch that can manually override the opening of the valve. The manual toggle switch needs to be in the "down" position to allow the system to be controlled by the switches in the dash area. If the manual toggle switch is turned to the "up" position, the valve will be open all the time and cannot be controlled by switches in the dash area. If the ballast system fills continuously while running the boat, check to make sure the manual override toggle switch is in the "down" position. If it continues to fill and the manual toggle switch is in the "down" position, check for debris that may have clogged the solenoid valve forcing the valve to stay open. If the valves continue to fill, closing the manual emergency shut-off valve will prevent any water from entering the system."

In the previous postings it seemed that several new boats came with the toggle switch "up". In my manual this discussion is on page 35. Hope this helps.
    Shoe

Hello,

Today i just find that my center ballast bag fills at itīs own will, switch was in the off position, i tried both switch position and seems to work fine, but not in the off position. where is the solenoid valve switch? i have a mobius 05 lsv.

Thanks.

Simon

Although I haven't had issues with the ballast filling on its own, I do make a practice of closing the inlet valves to the ballast system when not in use. Sometimes we use the onboard ballast system, sometimes the 'twins', sometimes both (1100# +). I guess I have a phobia about leaving water intakes open. I've not had a bad experience yet, so really no need for immediate concern. But it could just be the prudence in which I utilize the periphials. I will have to ponder this.
    Hope this helps
    Butta
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Thanks butta,

That sounds logic, iīll do that. I just found the solenoid valve and move the switch, a buddy of mine told me that last time he help me clean the boat he move that switch.

Thanks

Simon