Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Upgrading to the Kenwood 107MR Question

I am thinking about upgrading the remote on my dash to the Kenwood 107MR. I was wondering if anyone has managed to fit the larger remote in the factory location on the dash. I know a section would have to be cut out in order for it to fit and it definitely has the potential to not look very good if its not done right. On the newer boats the remote is located on the side which from what I've seen is easier to replace. If I was to put mine on the side I would still have the factory remote on the dash. That there is a deal breaker to me.

I suppose I could have something made the same size as the factory remote to place in that hole if I chose to remove it...hmmm....stainless etched Moomba logo maybe??

Any suggestions?

Also, can two of these remotes be used on the KMR440U?
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

The outside to outside of the holes for the mounting studs of the factory remote should be about 2.25". So the rectangular display remote should cover all that and its just a matter of whether there is enough flat surface area to install the display remote.
    A photo or two with dimensions might stir an idea or two.
    There is an adapter to allow two display remotes.

David
    Earmark Marine

Unfortunately, in my boat where the factory remote is on the dash, it is not flat...it is somewhat recessed in. I can't take a picture as the boat is in back in storage and won't be back out until probably the first weekend in July. I don't think I would feel comfortable cutting that area out either. I don't think it would maintain the continuity of the dash and probably couldn't even be done.

I will probably see about placing it on the side and removing the remote on the dash and relocating it to the bow. Then getting something made the same dimensions to cover the hole.

Not going to do anything right away just kinda thinking out loud but the more I use the boat I realize how limited the standard remote is and how much nicer it would be to be able to control all features of the radio from the helm instead of having to walk someone through navigating the radio as I am driving.
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Tow Rig:

E4NSH, i have that remote and flush mounted it at the factory location. Me and Newty both did it on our boats.

Its not to hard, there is just enough room and you just heat the plastic frame up on the curner with a heat gun and it will form to the panel perfectly. Then you slide the remote in and bolt her up.

I can get you some pictures of you like.

I used to have a thread that had all those pictures till it was deleted by someone.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike,

Pictures would be great! But isn't the '05 Dash different from your '08? I think the mounting position is a little different. Shoot me the pics and I'll take a look.

-Erik

Tow Rig:

Yes sorry i didnt see your boat year, i think the side panels are pretty simular but not positive. Ill get some pics later today and post them.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I just put one in my dash lastnight, here are some photos... i used a drill, dremel, and vacuum, lol.

2004 Moomba LSV Blue

2004 Moomba LSV Blue

EXCELLENT! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for....thank you sir!

Tow Rig:

If your so inclined you can atuchaly heat the dash up and it can be pressed to flush on the remote.

We did this on mine to make it nice and even. I of course have mine mounted in the panel on the side, much easier to remove then a dash.

Of course i understand on yours you would have to remove the entire dash, but if you ever get so inclined it will work lol.
    [COLOR="#696969"]