• Drive on - Float off

11 24.44%
  • Float on/off

9 20.00%
  • Depends on ramp

5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Yeah! Lets clear something up hear. Drive on trailer DOES NOT MEAN DRIVE ON @ 10 MPH!! I drive up to my trailer and stop, then drop it in gear and drive on at 1 mph, because I care and love my boat. I have seen friends (none on here) owners drive on at 6-10 mph. The trailer cant take that much abuse over a 5-10 yr period. And it hurts me to watch people tear up there own equipment. I cry a lil inside. Drive off no problem. Good thread!!
    89' Comp Resto:
    http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=8193

Riding and Mod pic's:
    http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=86

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-PPI Amps 1750 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

As the wife is still not comfortable driving the boat or trailer it's float on/off for me. She stands on dock with the rear dock line and i hang the front one off the board rack so she can reach it... it's working out for now. Maybe things will change with some practice and increased comfort.
    Current - 2018 Moomba Craz
    Past - 2013 Moomba Mojo
    Past - 2004 Moomba XLV

Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    Yeah! Lets clear something up hear. Drive on trailer DOES NOT MEAN DRIVE ON @ 10 MPH!! I drive up to my trailer and stop, then drop it in gear and drive on at 1 mph, because I care and love my boat. I have seen friends (none on here) owners drive on at 6-10 mph. The trailer cant take that much abuse over a 5-10 yr period. And it hurts me to watch people tear up there own equipment. I cry a lil inside. Drive off no problem. Good thread!!
    its not so much of an issue tearing up their own equipment as much as it is tearing up the ramp. on shallow ramps when people power on it erodes the lake bottom below the ramp and builds a big sand bar right before the ramps. also the eroded area at the bottom of the ramp can take away the support for the concrete ramps and over time cause the end of the ramp to collapse. we have a ramp by out lake house that is only in 4-5 feet of water and last year when the lake was a 1 foot low you could walk down to the bottom of the ramp and it was chest deep, then go down another 2 feet and it was knee deep and you were standing on a sand bar built by power loaders
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

When unloading we back in so half of the fenders are covered. start the boat up, check and make sure everything is good to go. Unhook the winch strap, put the boat in reverse but only at idle speed and let the truck roll back a couple feet then hit the brakes so it slides off real smooth. The ramp we mostly use is quite steep so when loading we have to be careful not to back the trailer in too far or the bow will go under the bow roller. From there we use as much throttle as needed to get the boat up all the way. Usually it is not much more than idle speed. When we use the boat launch at the lake instead of the river there is a sand/gravelbar like you describe from people power loading. At the river the ramp just cuts off and is about a 3 foot drop off of solid concrete so power loading isn't much of an issue as far as creating a sandbar.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

I guess I wasn't clear on what float on or off meant. I voted that I float on/off, but here is what I do....

Unloading the boat- Push it almost off the trailer and my wife cranks it up to make sure it starts with part of the nose still inbetween the guide poles and after it cranks she straightens things up and waits for me to park, then comes and gets me from the dock.

Loading the boat, wife gives it just enough throttle to make sure it is floating in between the two trailer guides and cuts it off as soon as the nose gets to the end of the trailer. She has mastered this so that 90% of the time the nose stops within 1 foot of the wench give or take. The times it has came in to fast, luckily she has my strong arm and back muscles to slow things down and show the on lookers that I am still the man. When we need to get in quick, I simply jump in the water, lift the LSV on my back and walk up the ramp like a BOSS.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I am kind of the same process as Mike. It really depends on the ramp and how I load and unload. more or less I get lined up and give it a bit of power then when i stop depending on the spot i will give it a little more power or just crank.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Thanks guys,

Some really different approaches to loading and unloading our Toys. It seems those of us that do use Drive on and off only use a small amount of throttle anyway. I think I just need to go back another foot to get the back end floating to allow mine to back off easier.

The ramps I use are all concrete so no dramas with the power loading. It gets a bit tricky on one of my ramps here, cross wind and cross tide. Bit of a knack doing that one, slow and steady wins the race for sure.

Which reminds of a quote I heard recently, " Go only as fast as you want to crash"!!

We have some real Numpties over here when it comes to boat ramp etiquette. Some people just don't give a rats when it comes to loading unloading. The ones who use 2 lanes for a little tinny drive me insane as well as the ones who hog the jetty whilst waiting for all their family to turn up, I politely tell them to move so everyone can get in and out. Mostly comes down to common sense and courtesy.

Cheers
    AUSFIRE
    Newcastle(Lake Macquarie) New South Wales, Australia
    ---------------------------------------------------
    2007 Moomba Outback

Man if you guys boated on the river that I am on you would "powerload" everytime. I want to see anybody float their boat on with a 5-6 mph cross current. Its not happening I have tried.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"