• Drive on - Float off

11 24.44%
  • Float on/off

9 20.00%
  • Depends on ramp

5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

With low profile Outback, float on/off. This is the only way I can ensure never taking a chunk of gelcoat from the bow accidentally smacking the winch. Trailer setup on my Nautique was completely different, allowing power on/off.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

All good then, lol.

around here I seem to have the opposite problem of powerloading. I have the new boating couple with their new pontoon and trailer backed to deep who need 5 attempts.

I give the fisherman the award for most creative techniques as I have seen some impressive performances from single unloads/loads

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post

I can understand how you broke a winch strap mike. There is no way I could winch my boat up. Plus the fact with the boatmate design I don't think it is physical possible to use the winch and clear the boat buddy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    I use my winch everytime to load my boat into the boat buddy, never had an issue (though I do hate the boat buddy).

I do everything myself. River where I board has a current and i am a control freak. When unloading I just back in until the boat is floating, unhook, and move it down the dock (wife and friends do this part) so the next person can drop in. To load, I sink the bunks to get wet and the fenders almost covered and I get it centered and winch it up the last few feet.

Our ramps are a joke, poor design and cheap and there's a drop off on both sides but we have to deal. My friends and I with inboards can ONLY launch at high tide and load in between low and high. If its low tide you're waiting a few hrs more unless you want to tear off your prop or rudder. I wish we had a lake. There's nicer docks and launch area further south down the river but it's a ways out of the way.

My buddy who has a SANTE 210 drives off and on his trailer. Everyone's process is different I guess.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    Broke the winch strap? How did you trailer the boat home?
    I was cranking her up, almost at the D ring when i herd it rip, and the boat when sliding off the trailer, that was the last time i float and winch up my boat.

To get her home i powerloaded the boat, then used the strap to tie and anchor knott on the D ring. It was a major bish cutting it off, then i had to replace the strap.

Odly enough the straps are only rated for 2500lbs or 5K lbs and the 5k wont fit in my winch. So this explains part of how it broke. The other part is my boat used to load crocked and caused the strap to rub the edge of the winch. Since then i had the bunks raised and aligned at the dealer and the problem has some what been fixed. The winch is still out of alignment but im planning on going with a Fulton to match the new jack i put on this year.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Lauching I'll back the trailer down the ramp until the water is about at the tops of the trailer fenders. Unhook bow strap, jump in, start up and back boat off trailer, under power yes but not much.

Loading again I back the trailer down the ramp, dunk the bunks, pull forward so the water is again at the top sof the fenders, wife drives boat on at idle, cuts power once she passes the guide poles, I hook up the bow strap and winch it in. If there is a inch or so yet to go I have the wife give it a little throttle so I can get the last inch or two winched on tight. Otherwise when we pull out the boat will not be tight to the bow roller.

Our ramps are long concrete as well so not overly worried about what little power we are using. We certainly don't rooster tail or gun the engine.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

i was at the launch at the river today and i was waiting in line to back my buddies rig in to get his boat and these morons in front of me got in the middle of the ramp, stopped 3 feet from the water and then decided to put in the bilge plug, take off the transom straps, load all their gear ect ect. stuff that should be done in the parking lot, not the launch ramp. there were also some people loading the boat on the trailers who only backed in about 1/3 of their trailer and power loaded like crazy. doesnt make sense to me. i got all the way down in there and the boat basically floated to the roller and i winched it tight. the guide poles kept it centered and we were off...
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

@Mike, sometimes my strap buckles over a bit and folds. I can usually let some out and push the bow around to align but sometimes not. I'm also looking to upgrade to the Fulton set up. Lots of plans for this summer, well see how much actually gets done. I just hope my strap never snaps, WOW

@David, You should have walked down the ramp and threw their truck in reverse for them! That would have learned 'em
    Last edited by jpetty3023; 04-15-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

ill stash this away in my bag of tricks for the future. then i will stand off to the side and yell "Your truck is sinking!!!"
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I've always power loaded and unloaded, (unless it's dangerously shallow) but very slowly and gracefully to the point where you'd hardly notice and I can be in and out faster than most. I push the front eyelet right up to the roller and leave it in gear idling, walk up and lay down over the front, hook the winch, crank it a few times until snug (I'm tall), kill the boat or have some one else do it. Climb in the truck and drive away. Whole operation from passing through the guide bunks to driving away can take as little as 30-45 seconds when all goes as planned.

I'm not in a big hurry, rather just like everyone else can't stand the guys dicking around clogging up the lanes or acting like it's the first time they've ever seen a boat being loaded or launched before.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I'm with mike m at loading/unloading. always make sure she starts up before giving the final "shove" with the truck and finish unloading. loading I float up to within a foot of the boat buddy and winch the rest of the way then drive out. once in a while it doesn't center on the trailer and is off by a few inches. a quick tug on the boat and it'll settle right down onto the bunks..

we have really long and wide concrete ramps so power loading here is not an issue. my cousin powerloaded his tige to the point that the boat was usually pushing the truck up the hill for the first few feet. not my preferred way, but he had the large "goalposts" at the front for the nose of the boat.

I will agree with the single fisherman statement. some of them are a real treat to watch. lots of years of learning and skill..

I'm pretty good at doing it myself. when we camp on long weekends, I usually take 1/2 day off and go up early thursday am by myself and set up camp. I can be from trailered to on the water underway than most families on weekends. nothing better than a nice quiet day at a campsite enjoying a beer before the weekend partying.. some think I'm crazy, but it sure is relaxing once or twice a year..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten