• Float on/off

9 20.00%
  • Depends on ramp

5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Drive on/off or Float on/off??

Hey Guys,

Interested to know how you guys in the States load and unload your boats of your trailers. Not that location should be any difference, lol.

Currently I back mine in until the top front part of the trailer guards are just above water. Problem is it always seems to need a bit of throttle to get it loose enough to slide off. I have read on other posts here that too much throttle will kick the boat to the right and maybe damage the prop.

I have always been mindful of that as the boat always tends to drift right after leaving trailer.

When retrieving my 07 Outback, i just sink the guards a bit deeper so guards just under and drive it up nice and steady, always making sure it is nice and straight prior to throttle use. I then just hook the winch strap up and pull last 1- 2 ft.
    AUSFIRE
    Newcastle(Lake Macquarie) New South Wales, Australia
    ---------------------------------------------------
    2007 Moomba Outback

I guess I do a combination when launching. I have someone pretty much back in until they see I've gone. I start it up once im deep enough and give it a little throttle to get back.

Loading ... I powerload, is that what its called? I use the throttle to get me up and into the boat buddy and then someone attaches the winch hook. It doesn't take much throttle with fenders just under the water.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

We back the boat down till i see the rear end float up, then start the engine, everything looks good i unhook the nose. Then i roll the truck back a little and hit the brakes, this launches the boat right off the trailer.

Loading, i dunk the entire trailer in the lake, then pull out till the fenders are slightly under water, drive the boat on till its catching on the front bunks, hook the hook, have my driver add light throttle while i winch it up tight. Sit on the tailgate and give Claudia a wave and she pulls it out and up the ramp.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Powerloading destroys ramps. Hate looking at tools with a rooster tail(mainly the outboard and i/o peeps) as the put their boat up.

I soak my bunks and then get some momentum. Once i stop i crank the rest of the way.

I just drop it till if floats and when I release the winch is usually just floats off. I some times have to power on as in put in gear and let idle but I try to get deep enough that I don't have to work real hard to winch it up
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I am similar to what the others do;

Unloading/launching, with 2 people. I unhook the boat first. Vehicle driver backs down the ramp. When deep enough, have driver hit the brakes-boat float off and back with the momentum. Start boat engine. Boat driver finish backing off/out of the ramp area. Trailer pulled out and parked. Return to dock and pick up people.

Loading/recovery. dunk the entire trailer in the lake, then pull out till the fenders are slightly above the water, drive the boat on till its catching on the front bunks, hook the hook, have my driver add light throttle while i winch it up tight. Not 100% powerload but some.

Some people may give me a dirty look about power loading, but I can be in and out of the ramp area faster than most, even when working solo. Also have some ramp mannors- no parking in the drive area or the ramp.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Im with you Hoop, except i like to start the boat before i let her off the trailer, incase something goes wrong.

As for loading i tried the float on method a few times, way our ramps are the trailer has to be so deep to allow a float on the rear doesnt sit right on the bunks, i also tried winching her on and i broke the strap to the winch. So little power and winch action works best for my application.

I powerloaded a couple times the first year but deceided thats to risky. Lucky all our ramps i have used are concrete and very long so if you do power load your not disturbing the lake.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

pretty much the same as Mmandley
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I drive off and back on to the trailer. Never had any problems. Prop has never hit the trailer.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

I guess there are different levels of powerloading. I use light throttle but I do use "power".

I can understand how you broke a winch strap mike. There is no way I could winch my boat up. Plus the fact with the boatmate design I don't think it is physical possible to use the winch and clear the boat buddy.

Ramps around here are concrete as well

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded