Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Boating with a baby?

With a new edition to my family I was hoping some of you guys had suggestions on boating with a baby. My wife and I are both experience boaters, but this is our first child and figured you guys had some do's and dont's to make it a better summer. He is 4 months old. Thanks guys

Kevin
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Bring proper diaper disposal multi-layer bags. Babies love to sleep on the boat-- the sound of the engine (especially an outboard) puts them to sleep. Find a comfortable life preserver and have baby wear it at home regularly to get used to it. Don't put baby in it the first time when you are headed out with a bunch of friends. Also, figure out what kind of little pillow or folded towel or blanket makes baby comfy while wearing life preserver in car seat (yes, bring the carrier/seat with you, it works great in the boat). Have a plan for shade.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

By the way, congratulations! Cheers to you for keeping the boat too!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Our son hated it last year (< 1 year old). Cried if we were out for more than 15 minutes or so. We think he really just hated the life jacket/hat/sunglasses. We are hoping this year he does better - can walk around, knows words, etc. Also - I think in the state of WI you have to be at least 6 months old before you are allowed on a boat. At least grandma can always watch him while the rest of us tear it up.
    2000 Mobius V

We used to take an extra car seat and put it under the steering wheel (we dont have a sub or stereo system). He would sleep or play under there while either my wife or I would drive. He's a little over 1 now so it will be fun this season.
    2009 Moomba XLV

All of the above are good options. Also try to get him used to being in the water with and without a jacket. We got a bouncy thing that attaches to a door frame and hung it from the tower. You had to watch when you took off because the chair flew backward.

REALLY????

That bouncy thing/swing from the tower is an awesome idea! No more holding the little bundle of joy the entire time you are out.

I'd make sure you have plenty of shade, life jacket that only floats them head-up, no booming stereo, the usual common sense stuff.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

My son is 8 months and we will be taking him most times we go. He loves the water and doesn't seem to mind his life vest. I'm just lucky my wife gave it a go to get the boat a few weeks back. I've been begging since we lost our last boat a 2 years ago
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

Now that's a hard core, dedicated, boating family you have there 11 outback
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Get the neoprene jacket. Car seats fit great in the walkthru to the bow.

Our son was born in Jan and we had him out on the boat at the start of the season. Keep 'em covered in sunscreen.