Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Westland boat covers?

I just got the one in that I ordered and after looking at it wonder if I should have shelled out the extra $$ for an evolution cover. Have any one of you guys used this Westland cover? I will be storing boat indoors for winters but summer it will spend most days outside. I will trailer with cover a few times a year to lakes that are further from my house.
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

These cover topics are always interesting. I've been searching around for custom cover companies and asking for suggestions for what others have used and had success with in the past, and Evolution Covers has come up quite a few times. I was interested in pulling the trigger on one until I contacted Cory and he informed me he didnt have a template for my boat, which is a Supra 21V. It seems he only creates them for Malibu's and Moomba's.

I was also told to check out skiboatcovers.com, which I did. But in the end I am going with Custom Covers (Innovative Marine Canvas) out of Salt Lake City (sewlong.com). They actually created the snap cover I got thrown in when I bought the boat. They're a bit more expensive than some of the other shops, though not more than one marine canvas shop in NJ by me, but I know the quality is top-notch and they back their work.

Do you have any pics of this Westland cover you bought?
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

I haven't took it totally out of the box yet. Just by looking and feeling I'm not to sure it would hold up. The weather sucks here now so I don't want to pull the boat out of the garage. I can't put the tower up inside so I can't fit it in there. I'll try this weekend and post pics.
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

I purchased one of the Westland covers for my LSV for the winter. Seems to work well though i didnt get the cover good and tight around the poles, so water ran right into the boat. Another problem i had was a low spot, but i fixed that with an additional pole. The key to that cover is to make sure you have no low spots for water to pool up and that you have it nice and tight around the poles. Make sure the cover is real tight so when it does rain the water will just run off the cover. If the water is left standing, it will seep thru
    2009 LSV Liquid Force Edition
    - Gravity III - Upgraded 900lb rear locker
    - Z5 Rack
    - ACME 1847
    - Polk MM6501UM - Kicker IX500.4
    - Kicker CompVX 12" - Kicker IX1000.1
    - Pair Wetsounds Rev 10s - JL Audio HD750/1
    - RGB LEDs

I have one of the Westland Exact-Fit covers. I think it fits really well for what I paid for it. Also, when I bought mine, I don't think Evolution was around. I have the "Sharkskin" one in light gray. I think it was like $300-$350. I have had my boat and cover for about 6-1/2 years. Since I have owned it, it has spent about 1/3 of its life outside/covered, 1/3 under a shed/covered, 1/3 garaged/not covered. The cover is still in pretty good shape and still works fine. It is a little grungy, and I have to clean it sometimes.

This past winter, I couldn't use my garage to store the boat it, so it sat outside under the cover, partly under some trees. I had to clean the cover with some detergent/bleach solution. And then I had to clean the boat with some degergent/bleach solution, but it cleaned right up. The cover did a good job of keeping the sun off the boat, and the sticks and twigs out of it though.

In my opinion, there are some misconceptions about boat covers out there. If a boat cover is totally sealed to the boat to prevent water from getting in, then the moisture in the boat cannot escape easily and the boat mildews and will not dry out. Of course being a boat, water will not really harm anything, but the moisture trapped under the cover can slowly corrode things like electronics. (I just ordered a new head unit for my boat, this will be number 5 since I have owned the boat)

The other issue is that I believe that sun does more damage to our boats than water. The suns rays are what fades the gelcoat and dries out the vinyl.

The only other things that a cover really does for us is to keep debris out of the boat, and it can deter theives while we are in the Mexican Restaurant stuffing our faces with burritos after a long day on the lake.

So, a boat cover is not a great substitute for parking a boat in a garage. I do find that when my boat lives outside, it gets more dirty, more quickly (even under the cover), and so I have to clean it more. For the years my boat has lived in the garage during the season, I think I washed my boat once that summer. I found that an occasional spray detailer wipe down was all it needed to make it through the entire season.

The thing I noticed this past weekend when I cleaned up my boat for the year, is that even though it was pretty dirty, that it cleaned up pretty easily. The wax finish was still in great shape where the boat was covered up, and the water just beaded right off. The only issue I have is that the gelcoat has oxidized/faded on the side of the hull that was exposed to the sun, where the cover didn't cover the boat.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts and observations on the issue. Overall, I am happy with my Westland Exact Fit cover and would not hesitate to buy another one.

I was deciding on whether to go the route of an evo cover myself, but stumbled upon a company on ebay of all places advertising a cover for my LSV w/ the tower. After talking with them for 2 weeks I placed an order, and within one week they had made the cover, shipped it, and it was on my boat...all from across the country. The cover fits tight around the tower and has a nice snug fit overall...and also has places to put straps, but I have not needed them since it fits well already. The company was Carver Covers for future reference.
    2007 LSV - Brittany Blue - GIII ballast - Alpine CDA-9885 mp3/cd/ipod - Rockford 400.4 ampon the cockpit speakers, Rockford 1000 watt amp powering two 12 inch Rockford subs with Farad Stinger digital capacitor, 4 sets of Rockford component speakers & Rockford bow speakers.

thanks guys! I am going to fit it tomorrow since the weather is gonna be nice again. I would love to keep it on the garage all the time but folding tower down, removing swim plat, and folding tongue in gets old fast and still only have a few inches of clearance. ill get some pics up as well
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

I may not get picks up with the cover. i ordered the wrong cover. When i bought the boat it was listed as outback. when i got home the paperwork said ls/sk but after researching it is what I thought, a standard outback but i ordered an LS cover which is 2 inches longer than the outback. So I am trying to get them to exchange it for me.
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

Do you guys think the ls cover will fit my outback? the only difference is the length 20'5 vs 20'8. i have a feeling its going to be a pat to get the cover exchanged giving my conversation with them the other day and i still haven't heard back from them
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

I'd say it's a big maybe.

I bought a cover from a forum member that had an Outback for my Outback V thinking the same as you. What got me was the tower leg positions were different, so I passed my sweet deal on the cover along to another forum member that had the same model the cover came off of.