Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where to look for water?

We were out this weekend, and I noticed after an hour or so of wakeboarding.. I needed to run the bilge. It ran for 20-30 seconds. I have ruled out the following:

1) Plug was in I did not sink
    2) Bag leaks: From what I can tell, the bags are fine.
    3) Obvious hose leaks.
    4) Water from boarders. Although some came in, the amount in the bilge is much more that could have come in via the boarders.

i am curious know about where I can look for other causes. Things I have heard but I dont know where to look are:

A) The shaft, if I need to re-pack it how would I know/see if water is coming in?
    B) Exaust: Can water come in around the tubes?
    C) Where else?

Thanks in advance!

-- bk
    2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games
    Total Noob running 1100 in the center, 750s in the lockers.
    JL JX360/4 powering 6 Infinity 621m speakers

Oh yeah, I looked at the dipstick.. and the oil looks fine as far as I can tell.

Did you check for leaks while the motor was running? You could be sending water through a loose connection at the water pump when under pressure.

I wouldnt expect the shaft packing to leak too much, unless it is completely worn.

I am dealing with the same, I backed my boat in this weekend (never left the trailer as I am dealing with a no fuel issue) but I had some water in the bilge (could have been in the bottom of the boat and ran back when on the ramp). But I would say to check each hose, especially ballast lines as those can crack over the winter and leak when you get back in the water.

Even with that 20-30sec of bilge pump is hardly much water.

Will look.. stupid question.. the water pump is what the impeller is attached to?

Yeah, the hoses were likely taken off as part of winterization and then reinstalled. If the connects are not on far enough or the hose clamps loose it can leak water. Or if the impeller was changed out and the gasket not installed it can leak water.

I would look at the shaft packing, get some one to drive the boat while you look at the shaft packing nut set. It should only drip about 3 drops per minute max. You can loosen the jam nut and tighten the collar to slow it down.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by bkearney View Post
    A) The shaft, if I need to re-pack it how would I know/see if water is coming in?

Thanks in advance!

-- bk
    I assume since you ask this that you have never adjusted your shaft collar and jam nut. It is simple
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

When I reconnected the the hose clamps on the impeller input and output hoses last year I got them as tight as I could with a screw driver and they still leaked. You need a wrench to get them tight enough. Also there was barely a drip at idle but under acceleration and at boarding speed it was leaking out lots of water.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    When I reconnected the the hose clamps on the impeller input and output hoses last year I got them as tight as I could with a screw driver and they still leaked. You need a wrench to get them tight enough. Also there was barely a drip at idle but under acceleration and at boarding speed it was leaking out lots of water.
    I always use a 5/16 nut driver on these clamps. If the intake isn't tight then you will be sucking air and the engine could starve for cooling water. If you pull your impeller then there is no need to disconnect these hoses every year.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

I normally just pull the impeller as well but the dealer winterized it once when it was in for repair and the temps were supposed to drop below freezing overnight.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV