Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Trailer Woes, Tow Vehicle maybe?

Went out today and launched/recovered with no problems. I'm back at storage unit and trailer backs up ok until the tires hit the "lip" raised concrete part going into unit. Brakes lock up and it won't go back over the lip. Go fwd a bit and won't back up at all. I unhook trailer adapter and nothing. I unhook trailer from the "family war wagon" and my son and I are able to push the trailer back till it hits lip, not strong enough to get over lip thou so I'm stuck.

Thankfully another boat is coming back to storage unit, Supra owner and a friend of You da Man. I walk over and ask him for some help and like a great SC brother he assists. We hook my trailer to his truck and plug up adapter and it goes in no problems, he doesn't even need to hit gas. He drove fwd about 10 feet, put in reverse and no issues. When it was hooked up to my armada the whole back end of the suv lifted as I was trying to go over lip that's how tight the brakes were engaged.

Just got armada and first time towing with it was Sunday when I first encountered issues with trailer. Added fluid and bleed system and today's launch/recovery at ramp was fine but then the issue at storage unit.

Could the auto level system be throwing off the actuator? Tow hitch to low possibly so auto level is adjusting and throwing it off maybe? I'm gonna flip my hitch over tomo and try to back up with the hitch higher. Ran out of time today cause kids have ball practice

Could it be my tow harness is not wired correctly? I used my adapter on supra's truck and no issues with backing the trailer up so now im thinking at this point it's my tow vehicle and not the trailer brake system.

Fluid in trailer is still full and I did not notice any signs of leaks since vpbleeding system on Monday
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

It's your vehicle Jason. No trailer brake issues with Tony's truck or my truck when we hooked up to your trailer. Could be as simple as the tow angle on your hitch because it only happens when you are backing up uphill which has been twice...once into your driveway and twice now into our storage units because of the concrete lip. It does not happen when you are level or backing downhill. Something, whether its the angle or just your vehicle, is not liking backing up the trailer even up slight inclines that it is locking up the trailer brakes. The easy and fast fix is flip the hitch and try this evening or in the morning. Give me a shout.
    Last edited by you da man; 04-05-2012 at 06:34 PM.

I suspect your tow vehicle wiring. I had mine wired for a fifth wheel trailer and the adapter I was given did not work in reverse up hils, the brakes would engage. I had to leave the existing wiring for the fifth wheel so I added a 5 prong flat for the boat.

Do you have one of those brake lockouts? If not you can tape a couple of nickles together and tape into the slot before you try and back up. There is a slot on the drivers side of the hitch where the hitch slides back and forth during normal towing & braking which engages the brakes. I'll try and find a picture
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Yep, sounds like the lockout. Are you using a 5 or 4 pin? The trailer is a 5 pin correct?

Does the truck have the 7 pin (round) device in the the back? I would think you just need a 7 to 5 adapter.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

SANY0002.jpg

Couldn't find a pic to I took one
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Yep, sounds like the lockout. Are you using a 5 or 4 pin? The trailer is a 5 pin correct?

Does the truck have the 7 pin (round) device in the the back? I would think you just need a 7 to 5 adapter.
    The 7 round to 5 flat adapter is what I got from Atl Marine, but it didn't work for reverse so I added a flat five and now have both.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

It is the 5 to 7 and I have the adapter. I do have the lock out key but it was in my Moomba folder at home today. Guess where it's at now thou!! I'm glad you posted the pic thou cause I didn't know where it went but now I do.

I have the same adapter that I used with my Tahoe and GMC Sierra but thinking the wiring harness on the Armada may not be wired correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

What's a flat 5 K? The 5 to 7 I'm using now I bought from South Austin Marine and has worked with my last 2 tow rigs

Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    What's a flat 5 K? The 5 to 7 I'm using now I bought from South Austin Marine and has worked with my last 2 tow rigs

Flat 5 pin connector

imagesCAZLT33E.jpg
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

That's what I got, guess I misread or got to much sun or something

Jason

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV