Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When it rains, it pours

Work the last four weeks has been insane, lots of issues coming up and I just can't ever seem to.catch up or get anything done because I'm in meetings all day or on conference calls. So it's been one thing after another.

Today on the way home I get a call from my good friend who is supposed to be installing my new system in the supra and he tells me he can't because he got an opportunity from work to go to Switzerland for two weeks. Ok, I understand. But now I have no one to install it and I am not really knowledgeable enough to tackle it myself. This is the second year he wasn't able to install it .

What a bummer! Now I may be forced to find a shop to do the install, really wasn't planning on that expense. Come hell or high water this spring I'm getting that system installed.

Just had to vent.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Sucks to hear that, i would be bummed too...
    I would assume you have some really good audio shops in NJ.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

If you have the time I would be willing to bet you could do it yourself. If you get stuck along the way there are plenty of people on the forum that can help you out. What are you installing?
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Jmvotto, yes I am sure there are however I just don't know if any around me have ever worked on a boat.

I'm installing tower speakers, a second amp, a ZLD, and a second battery. I really don't know anything about electrical/stereo equipment. I bought all of the equipment and materials based off a list my buddy put together for me. I know that list of stuff may seem simple but when it requires drilling a hole in my tower I get nervous. It's similar to the reason I won't try the black headlight mod for my tundra.

So meet your friend at the airport in two weeks, give him a ride "home" but actually to your house, chain him to the boat and have Dusty's Mom supervise. Your stereo will be done in no time.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

There is a ton of help on this forum to guide you through the audio install, but I would recommend if you haven't installed any stereos before, your boat would not be the best place to learn on.
    it'll cost a few $$, but any competent shop that specializes in higher end systems should be able to tackle your boat with no issues. it's not really any different than car applications for what you are looking for.

it does say he's only going to be gone for 2 weeks. can't you plan it out when he gets back? I wouldn't assume that you're riding every day yet in that neck of the woods?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Don't be a wuss. That's why they make beer. Draw it all out on paper. Measure once cut twice. Anybody can do it. I proved that. I did my own amps, EQ and tower speakers & subwoofer and even did my own ballast upgrades. Every time I needed help I came back here and got it.

The most important thing you gain from doing your own install is that you will know how to troubleshoot any issues you have because you will know your way through it backwards and forward. Spend the install money on beer and steaks.

Boats are way easier than cars because the electrical systems are much simpler and way easier to access. Folks on here will be more than happy to help you get your drawings right and help you with your specs. You can even do it one stage at a time so you don't bite off more than you can chew at first.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I'm going to do some install shop research. Ok, I have to ask because I keep seeing the references. What's the inside joke regarding Dusty's mom?

Sandm, no were not riding "yet", but that two weeks puts us into May when we do ride quite a bit. You see, my buddy is busy just like the rest of us. He has a little girl, and he lives like an hr and a half north of me. He also has a shorehouse in Avalon which is like 2 hrs south of him, so he will be planning on heading down there and prepping for the season, getting his boat ready, yada yada yada. I wanted to lock him down. Last year I tried during mid season and it never worked out. Its like " hmm, spend a whole day installing a system or go to the beach house and board?".

Haha, thanks Kane!
    Last edited by Cigars n scotch; 04-05-2012 at 10:18 AM.

I had a local shop do a tower install on our first boat because I was scared about drilling holes in the tower and I regret it. It worked but I did have to go back and make changes to make the best use of the equipment I had. It only took me an hour or so of research on hear to get it all right. Kane also makes a very good point about trouble shooting as well.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Do I need, or is it advised that I get a perko switch when I install my second battery?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00144...r_d_automotive