Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Wake surf Ballast Questions

We just bought our first Boat, 2012 LSV so I have many questions.
    We are most interested in Surfing.
    How much Ballast is too Much? The weight limit in the boat says 1800lbs max
    but I see people on here with thousands of lbs of ballast.. I want the best wave
    but don't want to sink our boat either.. Please help me get a good wave
    also what set up... We have 2x400s in the back lockers and a 750 in the front locker.
    Also the 750 fills quicker??
    2012 moomba LSV gravity III Ballast

You're going to get a ton of opinions and you might want to do a little searching in the wakesurfing forum.

Try this to start:

1,100 or 750 in the rear surf side locker
    370/400 under the surf side seats. Some folks cut out the ice chest on the port side to get the bag in there
    Bow sac

LSVboombox has a great setup, kaneboats & moombadaze do too on their LSV's

no such thing as to much ballast, as long as it doesnt sink--just kidding

fyi, your front infloor ballast is a 400lb bag, not a 750

My normal setup is 750 port rear locker, 400 front infloor, and I did remove the cooler and put one of the factory rear bags (400lb) under there to be about the best setup for ballast.

I have done 1000lb bag port rear, 400lb front infloor, 400lb in the walk way, 400lb under port seat base and about 5-6 people all on the port side. the rub rail was underwater in the rear, the prop was not pitched for this amount of weight and was working the motor hard, went thru a bunch of gas fast and the guys that rode the wave said it was not all that much better than the normal setup.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Totally agree with above. I usually have a bunch of people in the boat and they sit mostly on the surf side or in the rear with a couple extra up front. I run 750 in the surf side rear locker, 400 center full and the 400 bag under the seat as full as it will get-- my "ice melter" is gone too but this is probably still only about 320 or so. Wake plate all the way up and about 10 MPH.

Congrats on the LSV! Fantastic model and is truly a do everything boat. Haven't looked back.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I run 1100 in rear
    Bow sac
    Ski locker sac
    Another ski locker sac where the cooler was
    And another 1100 (its the big L sac) on the seat or floor(if there are a lot of people)
    And another 200 or so pounds in the non surf ski locker

I also have the original 400's and some 750's but i havent had to use them, as the surf wake is fine for me with the above

I have swamped the bow a couple of times with this weight and if you happen to turn to hard to starboard(which i dont recomend) at slow speeds water has come over the corner of the rear port locker.

I am also running a acme 1235. This prop has no problem handling all this weight. The boat jumps right out of the water.

Like to see some video of that wake and the setup. A look around inside the boat and then a shot of the wake and someone surfing it. I'll try to make one of these too and post it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Like to see some video of that wake and the setup. A look around inside the boat and then a shot of the wake and someone surfing it. I'll try to make one of these too and post it.
    I think this should be the new standard operating procedure.

I know it would help me.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Will have to wait til our season starts bUt will gladly photo. I started a thread for surf wakes and posted pics. That setup did not have the cooler sac and i believe i had a 750 in the cockpit but all else was the same. Will update when our season starts
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 03-27-2012 at 10:24 AM.

1100 surf side rear locker, ~400 opposite side rear locker, 400 ski locker, ~600 bow sac
    10 mph and wakeplate all the way up.

Ordered the Fly High Pro X Series Ultimate Wake Surf Sac with a tsunami pump
    So I'll have 400 in port side locker 400 in starboard side locker, 400 in the bow locker
    And 1000 on surf side in the seat. Try 10.5 mph with wake plate at half up.

I'm a little scared. Any driving advice?
    2012 moomba LSV gravity III Ballast