Default Starting Problems ....... Solved

So, since Nov 11 I have had an issue with my boat not wanting to start (08 Outback 325 EFI). I attributed it to "bad gas" since the end of the season did not make me use a lot of fuel. Cranking and cranking did not work, but crank a few times and then return 15-20 mins later, and it would fire right up.

I pulled the boat onto the trailer and filled it with non ethanol gas and stabil. I changed the fuel filter and drained the fuel lines. I had depleted the battery, so I bought a new one. Finally, while priming the fuel lines, I noticed that the ignition switch had a "blank spot". The power would shift on and off while I wiggled the key in the ON position. I ordered a new ignition/key from Atlanta Marine and now my problem is solved. $26 for a new ignition. Honestly, an ignition should last a lot longer, so I am disappointed. I've owned a lot of boats and cars, this is the first ignition I have had to replace.

While investigating the problem. I found that my rotor cap was corroded quite a bit and the rotor was worn down more than I would have expected. I replaced them also. I also removed the fuel pump, and inspected it inside. There were a few small items in the filter screen.

On a side note. I ordered the ignition from my local dealer in Jan. I checked on it in Feb, with response that it was delayed a week. Atlanta Marine had one in stock and at my door in 2 days. Not sure what I will do if I run into a problem that I can't fix.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    Not sure what I will do if I run into a problem that I can't fix.
    Come for a visit to the ATL! We'll drop the boat off at Atlanta Marine and head out of a nice dinner. You all are welcome to stay at the house then grab the boat and head back home.

My parents and sister live in Roswell. Just no desire to tow the boat all the way up there. In reality, there are too many issues that could occur that I feel that I would need someone else to fix.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier