Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    I'm with viking.
    I am on the 2 year plan as well. The first impeller was still in such good shape it is my spare now. I bought two, one for the replacement and one as a spare. Don't need teh second as a spare now so I hope the second new one lasts until I need it in 2014...
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Good idea to keep a spare. I spun the hub on the impeller and the rubber wouldn't move anymore. Just the brass piece. Only a year and a half old. Something to think about. I could have changed it on the water.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

I replaced the first one after first year and then it kept as a spare. I take mine out in the fall, check it over, if no issues, lube it, and place in a bag to put back in the spring. Replace it every 2 years no matter what.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

I just did mine for the first time, only thing that i did that made it way, way, way, easier was spray the impeller with wd40, cranked over the engine and pulled it out. I fought for ten min with no luck with needle nose pliers and after wd40 it was less that 15 seconds!!
    2017 Helix

Wakemakers 1050s
    Bow bag ( Surf edition)
    Autowake

Default Great Video (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
    I have to say... that is one of the most accurate, but at the same time least helpful videos on the web. Wait ... I take it back ... I did exactly what's shown in the video: headfirst into the engine compartment with my vise grips, spray silicone, bump the engine at 4:20, curse a bit and scrape my knuckles, and emerge with the impeller! Still, you have to laugh -- an 8 minute video of some unknown butt doesn't really seem like a maintenance video when described like that.

Oh, I assume you removed the center wire from the distributor so the engine doesn't start when you crank it?
    David Bishop
    2006 Outback V

I edited the posts at the top of page 1 and 2 to state there is a good video linked in post #15.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

So. I pulled my impeller last. No problem getting it out. I'm lookin at eh new impeller and a came with a gasket, a brass washer and another piece that is black and shaped like a washer, but grooved out like its a cap for something. I do not recall taking these two pieces out last fall. Do I need them? where do they go in for before/ after the impeller? Or do I just put the impeller piece in and call it good?
    Also, it appears the impeller has a notch, in the rubber on the circle part. am I lining this up with a notch inside? Tough to see in there
    Thanks
    Moomba Craz ‘21
    Barefoot Nautique ‘91 (traded-in)

For the water pump, there should be 4 brass screws to get the cover plate off. A white gasket between the cover plate and the pump housing - usually stuck to the cover plate when you take it off. Unless it rips, that white gasket is reusable if you did not get a new one in the kit. Twist and slide the new impeller. Once you line up the shaft to the impeller, it should slide in a with a little help. I also use a scotch-brite pad to smooth down in the inside of the cover plate - make sure you do not have grooves. Do not overtighten the brass screws when putting back in. Be careful not to drop anything under the motor b/c t's a PITA. Use a towel or box to catch anything. Dawn soap if your kit did not have some lube also helps.

Depending on your brand, there may be additional parts not used in your kit. I know Wakemakers sells the Johnson kit that come with two black gaskets not used in our application.

https://www.wakemakers.com/products/...water-impeller

For the ballast pumps, like a jabsco, there are 3 brass screws to get the cover plate off. A black o-ring that sits inside of the pump housing - sits in a groove. Try not to loose that, it can also be reused, but some kits come with a new one. The shaft has a slot to line-up and just slide it back in. Again, do not overtighten the brass screws.

https://www.wakemakers.com/collectio...mp-service-kit

I'm sure there are some YouTube videos floating around out there.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    For the water pump, there should be 4 brass screws to get the cover plate off. A white gasket between the cover plate and the pump housing - usually stuck to the cover plate when you take it off. Unless it rips, that white gasket is reusable if you did not get a new one in the kit. Twist and slide the new impeller. Once you line up the shaft to the impeller, it should slide in a with a little help. I also use a scotch-brite pad to smooth down in the inside of the cover plate - make sure you do not have grooves. Do not overtighten the brass screws when putting back in. Be careful not to drop anything under the motor b/c t's a PITA. Use a towel or box to catch anything. Dawn soap if your kit did not have some lube also helps.

Depending on your brand, there may be additional parts not used in your kit. I know Wakemakers sells the Johnson kit that come with two black gaskets not used in our application.

https://www.wakemakers.com/products/...water-impeller

For the ballast pumps, like a jabsco, there are 3 brass screws to get the cover plate off. A black o-ring that sits inside of the pump housing - sits in a groove. Try not to loose that, it can also be reused, but some kits come with a new one. The shaft has a slot to line-up and just slide it back in. Again, do not overtighten the brass screws.

https://www.wakemakers.com/collectio...mp-service-kit

I'm sure there are some YouTube videos floating around out there.
    Awesome. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.
    Moomba Craz ‘21
    Barefoot Nautique ‘91 (traded-in)