Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anybody watch GoldRush? Met a real celebrity this weekend

Anybody watch GoldRush on The Discovery channel? My son, daughter and I have been watching it all season without missing a single show. For those that don't know, some of the main characters in the show are from Sandy, Oregon, only about an hour away from where we live and I've been through there many times on the way to Mt. Hood.

At any rate we're cruising through the RV show today in Portland and I walk right past this dude - Todd Hoffman. He's basically the main character in the show. So I called his name, he spun around, shook hands, BS'd for a few minutes. Didn't mind talking or taking pictures with the kids at all. He's exactly like he is on the show in person - in fact I think he was wearing the same hat that he was in the last episode where they were interviewing guys from the after show about their experiences.

He said he was hunting for a new RV to head north with. Thanked us several times for watching the show. Joked around a little. Then said just wait until next season, it's going to be even bigger, more equipment, etc.

Just a normal guy, cruising through with his two little kids. Very cool!

I'd seriously recommend the show if you haven't seen it. Me and the kids love it.
    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/gold-rush-alaska/
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

That's awesome! I have watched it religiously too. Seems like a down to earth sort but you never know how they edit those shows. I think he and his dad own an airport in Sandy,OR?

Pretty neat that you just bumped into him. NO camera's? I always wondered if they sign on for a certain amount of coverage or if it was signing your life away for 24/7/365 camera in your face type deal?? Must just be the mining season.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Thurber was part owner of the metal shop next to my father in laws shop.

My daughter refers to him as "papa's buddy".

I am addicted to the show.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Its a DVR Top 5 for me. You can find Jack zhoffman listed as the owner of the airfield in Sandy. I just wonder where all the cash comes from for the equipment they burn thru when they find such little gold.

I'm hooked on the Bering Sea Gold show, too.

Thats really cool. I got into mid-season, but have probably seen all the shows on the re-runs before the show the new episode. My 8 year old is almost totally consumed by the show. He plays "gold rush" with his construction toys. He knows the gold mines, who goes where, ect.

Its gold rush fridays in this house.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Cool. He seems like the kind of guy that would drink a beer and shoot the jazz with at a boat/RC show
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Sweet... never miss an episode.. I would love to meet any of those guys. They are real salt of the Earth types!

NO GUTS... NO GLORY!

Berg... you look like a GIANT next to him! LOL
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Cool you got to meet a Celeb....We watch every show....He's in shorts and flip flops, must be hot here compared to Alaska..
    Did you want to tell him to cut his scraggly beard off?
    Rick
    2002 Moomba Mobius V

Goldrush is about the only show I watch, most nights I dont even have a chance to sit down in front of the tv
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Definitely GoldRush Fridays in our house too! And pizza of course.

Yeah, he definitely seemed like the type of guy who would pull up a stool, poor a glass and tell stories for hours and not even think twice about it. I was tempted to say something about shorts and flip flops when it's in the 40's - suppose it's pretty toasty compared to Alaska but the Expo center where they do the RV and Boat show is actually pretty warm inside. I wore shorts to the boat show with a hoody 2 months ago and got too hot plenty of times.

You can't help but stare at the dude's beard. It's just out there. I go crazy when mine gets a 1/4" long - one like his takes some serious dedication and will power.

I wasn't going to say anything but I was sorta surprised that he's not that tall. I'm 6'3" and yeah do look like I'm towering over him I guess. In the show he just seems like a bigger guy. I've never noticed him looking short compared to the others.

Meeting him like that, just wandering around with his kids, saying hi and talking a little just makes us even bigger fans of the show. My son was so excited he was almost shaking afterwards "Dad, I can't believe we met Todd from GoldRush. He was cool!"
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...