Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Should Wake Plate Extend Lower?

When I put my wake plate in the lowest position possible (for slalom), it is flush with the bottom of the boat, almost like an extension of the bottom -- continuing back.

I always assumed this was intended, that it was the location Skier's Choice had intended. I've never see anyone else's wake plate position, so I have nothing else to go on.

This week I was out and it was the first time I noticed someone else's wakeplate position. I noticed that Mastercraft's wake plates extend *past* flush, so that when all of the way down, they actually push lower than parallel to the bottom, so that the bow pushes down even more.

Is this the intended location of Skier's Choice wakeplates as well, or is Mastercraft unique in that?

Also, we never use our Wakeplate all of the way up, so even if this is not the intended position, would it be possible to have something fabricated, so that it does extend lower?

Thank you in advance!
    RKM

Should extend past level so it creates a slight hook.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

Your wake plate should only move up and down about 3/4". There isn't much movement in those things, however they really do make a differnce in the wake and the ride of the boat. My plate maybe comes down 1/4" past the plane of the hull.
    May be a difference between plate postitions in OB, OBV, LS, LSV, XLV... Oh yea the Mojo too.

What boat do you have? Might want to put your boat in your signature, this will make answering questions about your boat easier.

PWI as usual...

I think he has a Supra Launch 21v, maybe a 2005 or 2006. I can't remember.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Wow, Kane, you have an amazing memory. Yes, I have a 2005 Supra Launch 21V.

I also have a 2000 Moomba Kanga, but that doesn't have a wake plate . I also plan on selling the Kanga soon because I don't have the room for both boats.

I wonder how I'll get the extra extension out of the wake plate, maybe I can have a metal shim fabricated to put an extension between the hydraulic arm and the plate itself.

I'm also thinking about having fins welded on to the wake plate. Mastercraft is doing this and they say it gives a smoother slalom wake. They're about 1" tall, and they have about three of them that extend across the wake plate. Being that I have a Launch (not great for Slalom) yet I slalom 50% of the time, I'm thinking this may be worth a try.

Thanks again for all of your input!
    RKM

Look up the type of cylinder you have on your boat. I know there are adjustments in the ram itself. You can make it extend and contract further. Not sure how, but someone explained to me how the factory sets to fall with-in certain perameters because of liability reasons. I know I've seen those rams throw much further in other applications.

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusten View Post
    Wow, Kane, you have an amazing memory. Yes, I have a 2005 Supra Launch 21V.
    Well, I remember you were looking at the OBV and were going to see us in Clermont last year but then got a different boat. Don't ask my wife about my memory on June 26 though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

If memory serves me correct the plate from top to bottom adjusts about 4"
    2010 möbius ls "you ain't fallin you ain't learning"

Well, I remember you were looking at the OBV and were going to see us in Clermont last year but then got a different boat.
    Kane - Interesting story on the OBV. I did attempt to "buy" the OBV. The local dealer put them up at a local, no reserve "auction" to clear out last year's models. At least that's what he claimed. We won the "auction", then were given a song and dance about how it was "up to the bank" whether they would accept our offer, and the "bank" would not take anything less than something like $52k. This was after we had put up our deposit and wasted a day and a half with the auction, registration, etc.

This was the second time that I became quite frustrated with the South Florida Skier's Choice dealer. The first was when I tried to get my Kanga worked on, and I learned they have no association with a service department, and unless my boat was under warranty, I couldn't even get in to the company they refer SC owners.

I decided I was going to switch to a brand that was supported locally, as Skier's Choice was not. Then, while shopping, I came upon a good deal on a Launch 21V. Of course once I paid the money and the $1,200 shipping, I received a boat with a blown engine. Eventually I developed a relationship with South Florida Mastercraft, who have been great in servicing the boat. And surprisingly, they've never once criticized or suggested I "upgrade" boats (which is more than I can say for many Mastercraft owners). They've been an amazing service department thus far.

In summary, suffice it to say that it's been a long, arduous journey, which is also why I missed you in Clermont .

Speaking of the OBV -- Whatever happened to Ed, who had provided me with all of the good advice? I did a search for some of his old posts, which were excellent, but have not been able to find any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dru1974 View Post
    If memory serves me correct the plate from top to bottom adjusts about 4"
    Thank you for that. When you say that it adjusts about 4" - do you mean that the total travel distance should be about 4" when it's working correctly, or do you mean that it can be adjusted up to 4" from the default min/max positions? On that note, does anyone know how it's adjusted?

Thanks again for all of your help .

Total travel,of about 4". I will check for certain tomorrow
    2010 möbius ls "you ain't fallin you ain't learning"