Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Router

Default Wireless Router

I have to admit im not as savy on Wireless ROuters as id like to be.

Is there a limit to what a wireless router can handle?

I keep getting random wireless devices that lose there connection, then i have to re-enter the WEP key half a dozen times to get it to accpet.

Im using a Linksys Wireless G and i know its not the newest but it works, i think lol.
    Is there a better one i should look into getting?
    Is there a limit to how many devices you can use on it at once?

We have
    3 laptops
    1 I Pad2
    2 IPhone 4s
    Tv
    DVD player
    PS3

All on wireless.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Upgrade to an n or higher,not sure about tThe amount of devices, but we added an access point an it helped.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

access point, as in where you can hard wire them into the walls? We have CAT 5 threw out the house i wired in during the build, just havnt move it up the priority list to make all the connections, add wall plates, and reroute it to the main panel.

I will look into the N router, i know mine is pretty old lol.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I think the limit for a router is 99. Not sure where I got that though. But, your ISP might limit how many different connections you can have running at once. I have Comcast cable and I think their limit is 5. Try running a search on your provider. You ought to be able to get your devices to "remember" the password though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Access point you can use as a signal repeater to strengthen the signal that might be causing your disconnect. May even be able o use it will the g router. The guys at staples are fairly knowledgable around here..May be ble to help, I had limited Succes with the geek squad locally.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I think the limit for a router is 99. Not sure where I got that though. But, your ISP might limit how many different connections you can have running at once. I have Comcast cable and I think their limit is 5. Try running a search on your provider. You ought to be able to get your devices to "remember" the password though.
    Yea ill have to do that, i think they might said something about limit, IDK.

All my devices remember the passwords but it will flash up and want to you to re-enter it to make it work, and i shouldnt have to do that eighter.

Exp on the DVD player it would work for a few days then go into this loop of wanting me to enter the WEP again, unplug it from the wall and plug it back in worked fine.

PS3 does this with Netflix all the time but all i have to do it hit the button to make it sign in again and its fine.

Dam electronics LOL
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I have that problem around here all the time. We have 5 laptops and Ipad and a tablet running sometimes. I make the kids steal the neighbor's unencrypted wireless all the time. It works just as well on the south side of the house as ours does.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Mike, if you have cat 5 run through the house then I'd move that up the priority list. That was a really good idea when building. Not sure if that would solve the problem or not, though?

I would think the tv, dvd, and ps3 are all ideal items to be hard wired. Good chance it would give you higher speeds as well.

Aside from that, I got nothing ... I moved out into the boonies 3 years ago and don't have high speed internet. Stopped keeping up with it then so I'm way behind. It is probably one of the biggest things I'm excited about getting back once we get moved. I had high hopes for a whole house on a network but doesn't really work here.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I've had problems like that with a netgear router...linksys typically had better performance. Switching to an N router might help though it might drop down to the lowest speed device connected to it (not 100% sure of this). We have comcast as well...have two iPhones, two PCs, and an iPad connected wirelessly (and an extra PC when i work from home) and a Bluray player and directv receiver connected via Ethernet and we don't see the problem (have Apple Airport Extreme router). Oh, we also have an IP phone via Ethernet. So, plenty of devices.
    2008 Outback V

If there's limits on the router, it should say in the manual for it, if you can find it

I'm not sure about the limit by provider...

As for internet in the boonies, you can now get internet anywhere a cell signal is available! I've went arouind and around with this the last few weeks Millenicom offers truely limitless 3G (~1-2 Mbps) or 4G for $70/month (and purchase of ~$200 of hardware). If you are in a 4G area, supposedly Sprint has a business plan that is unlimited, but I don't know how much it costs. There are a BUNCH of companies that falsly claim to be unlimited, so be sure to read the fine print...
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)