Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Viking,
    Insert the EQ temporarily and check out the comparative noise level. That might be a determining factor for you.

David
    Earmark Marine

Cigars n scotch -

There is a lot of opinions on what substantiates "need". I think really when it comes right down to it, the "need" is control. How much control is up for lots of debate. Different brands place different emphasis on features and that can become a rainbow of items. At the core, you should look at

- How easy is it to volume up and down the tower zone from a safety point of view. If you have a rider on and drop them, you want to be able to easily adjust tower volume.
    - Do you want to be able to plug in an iPod into a device located close to the helm?
    - does your source deck need a little help voltage wise? (most factory decks do). Most new upper scale ones, don't.
    - Do you want to be able to fade between zones? tower to cabin etc?
    - Do you want independent control of your sub?

Just about everyone of the things on this list can be accomplished by other means. These preamp eq's just bundle it all into one box. I think thats the bottom line. As your system becomes more elaborate, these devices become increasingly important because of their functionality. On the other hand if you have a simple system and wanna keep it that way, I agree with KG... put an LC1 knob on the dash and use it to volume up and down the tower zone. Nothng wrong with the k.i.s.s. method.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

thanks KG, David, and Brian for your responses. They all helped and gave me some new knowledge as well as caused me to think more about this. I'm thinking one of these could be extremely helpful. I do have a built-in controller for my HU that allows me to tune the radio, volume up/down as well as mute, along with a power button but having the ability to control the master volume ALONG with being able to fade between tower and in-boat's really intrigues me. My system is not going to be as sophisticated as most, but I think that with what I have it's going to be pretty good. A pre-amp EQ could complete the package. Glad I asked the question.

Brian, you're questions that you posed really sealed it for me. Thanks. As I mentioned I am a noob when it comes to stereo systems, which is why my friend will be installing my system since he's an electronics and stereo guru.

Now another question I have that may not be appropriate for this particular subject, but how are these things mounted? I see that folks are mounting them under the helm dash, but are they fabricating something like a DIN insert for a car?

Just saw the ZLD pre-order price is no longer, when did that end?

Justin
    Again, thanks for the info and the responses.
    Last edited by Cigars n scotch; 03-15-2012 at 08:57 PM.

"My system is not going to be as sophisticated as most, but I think that with what I have it's going to be pretty good."

LOL! Famous last words (at least for now) of everyone who's posted about, asked or theorized stereo's in their boats on this forum! Do a search in the Audio section and see what I mean. I'm on my third incarnation in as many years, many, many others are too! Do yourself a favor and think of what you might want or think you might want and how you'd use it and include it in, you'll thank me later!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    "My system is not going to be as sophisticated as most, but I think that with what I have it's going to be pretty good."

LOL! Famous last words (at least for now) of everyone who's posted about, asked or theorized stereo's in their boats on this forum! Do a search in the Audio section and see what I mean. I'm on my third incarnation in as many years, many, many others are too! Do yourself a favor and think of what you might want or think you might want and how you'd use it and include it in, you'll thank me later!
    Yes I know exactly what you mean. I need to be level-headed though because I already am involved in multiple expensive hobbies such as golf, snowboarding, cigars, scotch, now i am getting into modifying my Tundra, and let's not forget the Supra 21V I own and the wakeboarding/wakesurfing. They are all slippery slopes!

And a 6 month old daughter to top that all off (though I am super stoked about sharing boating/wakeboarding/the water in general with her and having her grow up around it to enjoy it like my wife and I were fortunate enough to do).

Cigars - Everyone starts somewhere in stereo's. Same could be said for golf , skiing or surfing, right? The moomba forum is a great bunch of people that can answer a lot of your questions from practical experience. Razzman is right, your setup will change in the future. They always do. Hopefully the gear you select will be able to grow with you as your needs change. I think a preamp controller probably can do that, regardless of the brand involved. If you do get the ZLD, and your buddy has any install questions, you can always find help on tuning or setup should those questions arise.

I think you asked about mounting options. Most EQ preamps conform to the 1/2 din size, but very rarely do I see them in any kind of fabricated bracket in a boat. Most EQ's come supplied with standard L shape brackets for quick and easy mounting.

Maybe we should start a cigar thread.... ! :>

-Brian
    Exile Audio

I could roll with a cigar thread.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!