Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default 2012 Stereo Re-Build...

It seems every year I rebuild the stereo in my Outback, and this year is certainly no exception.

On the list this of things I am doing this year are:
    • Build dual battery box (Starboard) & Relocate batteries to where port sub current resides (directly behind bow seat back)
    • Relocate port side sub to under drivers dash / build dual sub box for helm (2x Kicker L7 10")
    • Build new amp rack for Exile Harpoon, Xi800.4, and Kicker 1000.1
    • Instal Exile XM9 tower speakers
    • Relocate head unit into glove box (currently mounted under glove box)

There are a few other things I am going to do like adding a relay and larger gauge wire for my in-boat LEDs, install the 2 additional Newty transom LED's I scouped up last fall, and I'm sure more interior LED's.

At any rate, I jumped into the battery box this afternoon. I started by finding a local source for King Starboard and picked up 1/4 sheet (24"x48") of black 3/4". I want to avoid using wood for anything, and since Starboard is what seems to be used for all of the factory panels, I figured it would be perfect for this.

First things first, I needed to devise a plan; at $16/sq ft I didn't want to waste any material!

The start of my box - I used a chalk line to mark my first cut,then went to it with the table saw (I needed 12" and the my tablesaw gate only goes to 11", so I had to free-ball it):

Cut in half, came out pretty clean;

All the cuts made and a mock-up of the box. Basically the lid will sit flush with the 2 longer sides, and on top of the 2 shorter sides. I'm going to use a small square of scrap on the inside of the lid on each end to keep it from sliding back and forth, and some stainless steel latches to hold it in place. I'll cut vents into the sides as well as holes for the wires once I get everything laid out.

I need to pick up some stainless steel screws so I can get it together, I thought I had some but alas they weren't stainless.

Overall the Starboard is pretty easy to work with - I cut it with the same blade I use for MDF and it seemed to do fine, maybe a little harsh, but for this where finished edges don't really matter I'm not worried about it. I'll likely use a router on all of the edges to finish it off, but ideally this will never be seen anyway, as it will be mounted behind the amp rack in the observer side storage compartment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ian ashton; 02-22-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    2013 Outback V

Ian, looks like some nice mods but you gotta be careful using a table saw while free-balling.

u might wanna wear a cup
    can't wait to see the progress...........

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I'm excited to see how this goes. Please keep us updated with pictures. Thanks, Tom
    2008 Mobius LSV, 325 Assault, Acme 1433
    Ballast: 1100s rear, 400 center and IBS plumbed on valve. 3 Johnson Reversibles.
    Audio: 2 SKM10 subs and 6 KM6200s powered by Kicker IX1000.5, Pair REV8s powered by JL M4300 amp, Kenwood 440u head unit, RC107 remote at helm, and RC60 remote at transom
    Misc: Blue Seas Add-a-Battery, SeaDek, Evolution Cover, Blue interior LEDs, 2 Attwood Underwater LEDs

Looking good Ian, i assume your putting a cover over your battery box or is this a door on the side to make it easier to slide the batteries in and out?

I personally would build a door to the access it from the side.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

The top piece will be the door.

I'm going to run a 1/0 plug out of the start battery to use for jumping and such, other than that I dont think I need quick access to the batteries.

Cheesedip.
    2013 Outback V

Ian, I can't wait to see how this whole thing goes... as I need to re-tool my sad system in the worst way. I am hoping this inspires me to get it done. I do see a major flaw in your design though... not one beer in any of those pics??? Good luck with that!

IMAG0193.jpg
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Ahh. Looks just like a first kiss-- and it is -- every time. Gotta love beer.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

^^^ LMFAO I didn't even think of it that way, but you are sooo right!
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

I ordered a bunch of 1/2" Starboard, for the top and bottom of the battery box, and also to build the amp rack. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow so I can get moving on these projects. I intend to get the amps all mounted, wired, and looking good in my living room, then I can put the whole board into the boat, plug in the speaker wires and RCAs, hook up the batteries, and be good to go.
    2013 Outback V