Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Distance under the tower to the stock bimini top

I have a 2008 outback. Boat is in storage, and was looking for a measurement from bottom of tower(radi cage)to top of open bimini(factory). I want to put a single pair of tower speakers on my tower and want the largest I can get under the tower. I am shooting for xm9's or rev 10s.

Thanks for the help
    2008 Outback V Black & White

Elevated - On the Exile's yes you can indeed fit them. I'm not sure about the ws as it is a considerably bigger enclosure. The most important issue you have is the weight associated with speakers on your 1 5/8 diameter tower. It is not as stout as the LSV tower.

The XM9 is on the higher side of my comfort level. I definitely would not hang 2 pair on there. All the XM products include the neoprene covers , quick disconnects and 2 year warranty. If you do go the XM9 route, hit me up and we can con net you to a local dealer for installation or go over amplifier configurations and tuning tips for the DIY install.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

The rev10 are going to hang low, likely lower than the bimini. They hang just lower than my z5.

You might be able to find hang height measurements online?

Also, Brian brings up a good concern on weight.

Remember when comparing size, the xm9 and rev8 are the comparables, both 8".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

The Z5 typically sits a lot higher than a stock factory bimini. I know that when I had my factory unit I could have easily hung XM9's no problem. But I will say this too, many owners and dealers have modified theirs to sit higher, the OP needs to measure HIS clearance and not rely on someone else's.

I too would be wary of hanging XM9's on an 1 5/8" tower. If It was mine i would be more apt to go with XM7's or SXT65's in that circumstance.
    Last edited by Razzman; 02-20-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Remember when comparing size, the xm9 and rev8 are the comparables, both 8".
    And the REV-8 it is an enclosure that is comparable to the Wet Sounds Pro60 pod. The Rev-10 enclosure has a hang height that is just a little more then the Pro-80.

I wanted to get both projection, and sound quality. Thought bigger would be better for both. I sent you a message Brian, and I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks

Elevated,

Shoot me an email to [email protected] and let me know where your located at. I'll be happy to find someone close to you. So you can hear and see for yourself.

The Wet Sounds REV 8 would be smaller than Other 8 inch HLCD speakers so that might be something
    that would work well for you.

Tim
    Wet Sounds

Thanks Tim, email sent.

Mike

Mike - Stepping into a bigger speaker is going to give you more bottom end that smaller sized speakers cannot. The XM9 is 10mm bigger than the REV8 cone/surround wise, and has a bigger enclosure displacement as well. It's not an 8" speaker by conventional We do not use any off the shelf basket, cone or surrounds in it. It's design varies greatly from the XM7 which had a more traditional approach.

In your situation, its all going to come down to weight on your tower my friend.. and how much you feel comfortable putting up there. I did some quick speaker only weights.

XM7 weigh 19.30 lbs
    XM9 weigh 21.80 lbs
    REV8 weigh 26.20 lbs
    I'm not sure what Rev10's weigh

Clamps on all those speakers will add more.

Acoustically either the exile or ws products will get great sound out to your rider. There's no doubting that.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    Mike - Stepping into a bigger speaker is going to give you more bottom end that smaller sized speakers cannot. The XM9 is 10mm bigger than the REV8 cone/surround wise, and has a bigger enclosure displacement as well. It's not an 8" speaker by conventional We do not use any off the shelf basket, cone or surrounds in it. It's design varies greatly from the XM7 which had a more traditional approach.

In your situation, its all going to come down to weight on your tower my friend.. and how much you feel comfortable putting up there. I did some quick speaker only weights.

XM7 weigh 19.30 lbs
    XM9 weigh 21.80 lbs
    REV8 weigh 26.20 lbs
    I'm not sure what Rev10's weigh

Clamps on all those speakers will add more.

Acoustically either the exile or ws products will get great sound out to your rider. There's no doubting that.

-Brian
    Exile Audio
    Brian

Can you clear up some confusion for us? You state that you folks at Exile have your own method of measuring things, in your words "It's not an 8" speaker by conventional ". For the average consumer, the only way we have to compare and measure product "A" to product "B" is to use a conventional means. Can you provide some sort of conversion chart, or at least an explanation of how the XM9 is 10MM larger, measured by the Exile method, then another 8" speaker that is measured in a means that is used to measure just about every other speaker?

Also, I assume you disassembled a REV-8 and measured it. What method did you use, conventional or your way? If the XM9 measured your way, come up 3/8" larger then the REV-8 measured conventionally, then how is that a fair statement to say that the XM9 is larger? Would you be willing to post a picture of the XM9 with a ruler stretched across, and let the readers make up their own minds on whether its an 8" or 8-3/8" speaker.

Here's how it plays out; If car maker ABC states that their sports car tops out at 150mph and XYZ states theirs tops out at 175mph, but then state they use a non-conventional means to measure MPH. As a potential consumer, how is one to accurately compare the two, when XYZ uses a method that NO ONE else does to calibrate their speedometer?