Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Duramax Chat

Default Duramax Chat

Thought I'd start this thread instead of hi-jack mmandley's Serenity thread. I'm in the process of buying the goodies for my daily driver and wanted to see how many might be doing the same (or already running some of it) and can chime in with opinions.

Running PPE now and thinking of switching to EFI Live Autocal DSP5 with Idaho Rob tunes. KG - do you have the DSP5 switch and what's ur opinion on on-the-fly switching? Who does ur tuning? I was going to install it myself and didn't know how difficult or easy it is going to be?

I've got 4" cat-back exhaust and I'm going to replace my downpipe with new flo-pro and figure since i'm at it I'll pull the 4" out and get rid of the cat and go 5" all the way. Heard the downpipe can be a bitch with the heatshield in the way?

TransgoJr. Kit for the Allison sounds like a must for higher tunes. Don't suppose the lift helps either. Gonna have a shop do this one as I don't feel comfortable tying into the tranny.

Trans cooler lines on the LBZ are a nuisance and leak. Factory lines are chit and been replaced under warranty once already. Gonna buy new lines and replace them myself. Heard their a pain and have to take the whole front end apart.

Other items:
    Shim kit
    Air bags (anybody have pics of the guage and controls installed in cab?)
    FASS or ADII fuel system
    Resonator cap
    PCV re-route
    S&B intake

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Awwww swweeeett ...

I actually just have a 2 switch, I went the cheaper route bc I didn't see a need for stock tune or 2 tow tunes. I was also worried I'd break something with a hot tune. Kinda wish I had the 150+ tune now, though. Anyways, I have a tow tune (50+) and a daily drive (90+) from nick at duramaxtuner.com. On the fly switching seems fine to me, I've never used anything else so nothing to compare it to. I am likely one of the least capable on this forum at installing things and I swapped my ECM's and wired the toggle switch with limited issues (reading their diagram was kind of a pain). The location isn't too bad (had to pull battery and maybe something else) on mine but not sure on the LBZ.

I've heard the same on the downpipe, that it can be a PITA. I installed a 5" turbo back (really downpipe back) straight pipe from flo-pro. I ended up painting the tip black with high heat spray paint.

I went back and forth on the transgo jr. but it's cheap and I'm still considering picking it up. I was told with the 90+ tune I'll be fine with the stock tranny. The transgo jr. will let you play with the 150+ tune safely from the way I understand it. I def agree on having someone install that.

Other thoughts:

I was looking at the S&B as well but I think I've switched to Bill's Custom Intake (just google it). It uses an S&B filter but replaces the plastic intake with a metal one for more turbo sound.
    The PCV re-route: I still don't understand what this is and I haven't done it.
    Resonator cap isn't a bad idea but not sure you really yield anything from what I've read, at least on the LMM.
    The ADII is on my list of things I'd like to do.
    I put air bags in mine but I didn't do a compressor. I usually have a portable one on me so I just ran the lines out the back of the truck and do it that way. If money isn't that big of an issue, on board compressor would be nice. I think you are talking around $300 for on board air? It does get a little old trying to get them level while the boats sitting behind you waiting to go.

Only other things that you didn't mention that I can think of is the EGR blockplate and I'm running the CTS for gauges.

I think this thread is going to need some pics

Oh, and we might have a new dmax member tomorrow?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Have you guys looked into H&S tuners? This is what im running and its shift on the fly works realyl nice. Its bit pricy and only lets you see 4 items at a time.

http://www.hsperformance.com/

IDK if your PCV mod is the same as the ones we do on the Fords but basically its routing it under the truck so its not dumping that raw oil right into your turbo. I havnt done mine yet but im planning on it soon.

As for the Air guage i can grab a pic of mine when i get a chance. I got the air bags, and on board compressor just need to install them.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I'm hoping I'm in the Dmax tomorrow morning. We will see!
    The girls helped me check the potential (hopeful) out tonight, they approved.

2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    I was looking at the S&B as well but I think I've switched to Bill's Custom Intake (just google it). It uses an S&B filter but replaces the plastic intake with a metal one for more turbo sound.
    The PCV re-route: I still don't understand what this is and I haven't done it.
    Resonator cap isn't a bad idea but not sure you really yield anything from what I've read, at least on the LMM.
    The ADII is on my list of things I'd like to do.

Only other things that you didn't mention that I can think of is the EGR blockplate and I'm running the CTS for gauges.

I think this thread is going to need some pics
    I check out the site. NOW I'm undecided again?? AEM and aFe also makes an aluminum intake so really still trying to make my mind up on this one.

PCV reroute helps keep the oily soot and residue out of the intake

resonator cap is "just because" I'll be there and help with the turbo whine
    pretty useless other than that I think?

EGR blocker - i've had it for a couple years and didn't do it since truck was under warranty. I need to put it in but waiting till I tear into everything else. Heard the back bolts are a PITA as well.

Got Autometer Pyro and Boost on the pillar!

Definitely need to pretty the thread up with some pics soon!! I need to get to spending some $$ and go to work on it.

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

100_0974.jpg

last summer loading up for a weekend at the lake

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Mike, I think h&s is a more popular brand for pstroke and Cummins. I know my buddy went black maxx on his Cummins cause it was the solid go to. Recently rode in a local diesel shops F450 6.4 and he was running Black maxx too and said it was the go to. I'm assuming that's why you got it as well. well anyways, efi live is that for the dmax. You write your own custom tunes, change whenever you want,with software. Now instead of selling the software (comparable price too black maxx), shops are selling ecm's that they tuned with the software. just like downloading a tune on h&s. They sell ecm's with 5 tunes or 2 tunes for a cheaper price and for those that wouldn't know how to use the software, like myself.

Viking, I have seen the most positive reviews on bills custom intake. That and s&b.

That's a sharp looking truck! Let's see a pic of the pillar!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Ah nice well that makes since. I did go to the max due to such positive feedback on it on the Fords.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Couple pics now that I'm on the computer ...

Headed to the lake

Here is the gauge I was talking about. Not as sweet as a pillar but serves the purpose.

2016 Moomba Mojo

Headed to the lake? What? ahh dam hate you souther guys and your boating in Feb LOL. Have a good time man.
    [COLOR="#696969"]