Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Replying to Topic 'Impressions (long) of XLV: options, versu

I just opened a package with a helmet from buywake.com (another customer screen QC escape). I'm going to try one and see if I need to get the kids in one.

In the box is the following bumper sticker.

NO SKIS, NO TUBES, NO BULLS#!T

LMAO. It is red and white and I'm tempted to put it on my boat.

Salt, can you feel the salt?

LMAO - still

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

What kind of helmet?.......I like to have one of those stickers.....
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

I think it just comes with the buywake.com box of stuff but the helmet was water ace wake pn 409904248769, lg on sale $36.99 with the ear protection (Pro Tec). usually a $60 helmet and reportedly a good one. I'll let you know.

SD2

"NO SKIS, NO TUBES, NO BULLS#!T" is the Buywake logo. I didn't see the sticker on their website (www.buywake.com) but I am sure they can get you one. They have some GREAT deals depending on what you are looking for.

Thanks for the article. My wife and I are considering an 05 xlv. We have a 21' bowrider which has been a good first boat. It is impossible to go slow. You can go 5 mph or 25 mph. As soon as it planes it starts flying. My oldest is 8 and I have 5 year old twins (all boys). I know you guys are wakeboarders. How does the boat do for little ones who want to tube or kneeboard??? I am learning to wakeboard and I love it. I would rather get a boat I will keep rather than buy one then upgrade again in another year. I live near Cincinnati, Ohio and the boat show is going on now. I am going to it tomorrow.

I am still very nervous at the prospect of spending 40 grand for a boat... It sounds like Moomba is a much better value.

I will let you know the outcome.

Sandmoose,

What article? I think you are lost. Talk to george (Moomba). take a hard look at the new LSV.

I have a 10 and a 5 year old. both kneeboard & tube. 10yo boards, I skate, we all fuss with surfing. The boats are great 12 mph for the 5 yo, no problem.

SD2

SD2, I think that "the article" is simply the one that started this thread.

Sandmoose, you are welcome. I'll follow up with another detailed report on how I felt about the options after a season of use. I might not get that done this weekend, though (repetitive strain injury -- gotta get someone else to type for me!).

You questioned the behaviour regarding planing, etc. A wakeboarding boat is what you want for all your activities, because your list includes most of those possible except skiing and barefoot.

A ski boat or runabout is typically marketted get on plane quickly, have a minimal wake and have high top speed. They typically ship with high-pitch propellers in order to attain high speeds, at the expense of low-end torque. It's like being in 4th gear all the time. Waterskiers using runabouts sometimes replace the factory prop with a low-pitch or variable-pitch one for better "hole shot" (getting your boat out of the hole in the water that it digs when starting).

A wakeboard boat's hull is designed to do the opposite: between about 10 and 30 MPH, it will have a gradual progression in elevation, with the wake going from enormous to a "medium" height by comparison. You can coerce it down (toward a bigger wake) on that scale at any speed by adding ballast, and you can affect wake shape via trim control (the wakeplate). The top speed is -- oh, don't embarrass yourself by caring what the top speed is. Assume that it is INadequate for adults to barefoot ski. It's like being in 2nd or 3rd gear all the time. Hole shot? What hole shot? I'm digging a trench in the water, not a hole!

Of course, digging that trench will use more fuel. Live with it. If it hurts, get a T-shirt that reads "MY BOAT RUNS ON GAS, NOT THANKS". Participate in local events, such as concerned citizens voting on local wake control by-laws. You'll vote against, unless maybe it's to protect bird nesting areas.

A wakeboarding boat will make it very easy to create a giant wake for tubing. Um, I'm assuming that you do "real" tubing (circling back and dragging the tube over your own wake, often ejecting the occupants), and not a quaint tow around the bay. Two notes:

- you are going 5MPH faster than you think; believe the speedometer, not your intuition, before the rider flys off the back of the tube

- For virtually all activities, the rider should be wearing a watersport helmet with ear flaps (try Protec's Wake model). That spill last year (skidding across the water) is now an direct impact into your huge wake. It's not like this every time, but it can happen.

As for LSV vs. XLV, it depends on your situation. SD2 is very happy with his, and has kids of comparable age to yours. I test-drove an 2005 LSV myself, before getting the XLV. Note that the 2006 LSV now has a deeper hull, so our personal experiences are based on somewhat stale information for the LSV. My situation is:

- rarely any kids or even teens on board - all adults

- no waterfront property, and my marina isn't adjacent to the play area on the water -- we must load up everything and head out for the day, so no rotating gear or crew

- I'm lousy at wakeboarding and want the giant wake, like training wheels on a bicycle

- lots and lots of gear (including a hydrofoil chair)

Both models have bench seating, not individual seating for passengers. Thus, you can handle more passengers if they are small fry. The LSV holds about 7 adults in the interior, and 10 for the XLV. When the boat is in motion, the bow will only be popular as a seating area on hot days -- too much wind chill otherwise.

Earlier I mentioned that you can coerce the boat down (toward a bigger wake) on a scale at any speed by adding ballast. With the LSV, you start a bit higher on that scale, and thus it isn't mandatory to have a big wake. With the XLV, you'll always be making a big wake at the lower speeds appropriate for young children. That's fine for tubing (in circles), but your neighbours on the lake may complain when you do it all along the shoreline while wakeboarding or kneeboarding. The LSV is more flexible here.

The XLV's wake is also wider. The kids would have to start out with a pretty short tow rope for wakeboarding if they are trying to jump it. Um, just like I did...

What is your tow vehicle situation? The XLV on the tandem trailer is 4800lbs dry. The 2005 LSV was around 1000lbs less. The 2006 LSV probably adds a bit more weight, but either way, the LSV is fine to tow with a mid-sized SUV or pick-up. My 1998 4Runner is just barely adequate for the XLV. This older 4Runner only 3500lbs, and I want something with more traction at my ramp (it's loose stone -- paved might be fine).

The tandem trailer handles really well on the highway. I recommend it for either boat model. I used to two a 2000lb boat on a single-axle trailer, and it was fine. However, I would not relish even the LSV on the default single-axle trailer behind a mid-size truck.

The LSV is the easier boat to handle if it meets your needs. It would do very well until the kids are in their teens. I.e. you would have no worries with two families (3-4 adults and 3-4 children) on board for at least five years. If you want "doubt removal" about space or big wake, or want to avoid shopping for another boat for 15 years, the XLV is the one.

Best wishes!
    Ian
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I would agree with Ian. - We do swap gear b/t tubes & boards. We carry 7 boards easy.

The single axel trailer manhandles easier that duals when parking just so in the barn.

SD2

Hello, again. I found a typist, so here's my detailed reply. This is a follow-up to my original article after a full season's use of my 2005 XLV. This will review the options that I had a chance to evaluate.

Several options were basically essential and the only reason that I can see that they would not be standard is to keep the base price lower. These will be labelled simply as "essential".

-----------------------------------------------

A note about the LSV: I see that the 2006 model now has a deeper hull which was on my wish list in the original article here. That's good news. I'm still happy that I got the bigger model, but at least now, buyers can choose between models that differ mostly in size only.

I also complained earlier about fuel consumption. After the break-in period, consumption did drop from 10 GPH to the expected 5-6.

The transmission quietened down as well. That whirring sound is much reduced.

The mottled appearance on the curved glass was an artifact of my cheap sunglasses. If you have this problem, try some other shades.

The tower worked very well. The fasteners had to be tightened after a few weeks of use due to compression of the rubber mounting pad.

----------------------------------------------

Here are my end of season comments on the options.

48-quart Cooler w/Upholstered Lid: It's too high; I've never used it.

Heater: This is essential if you want women to ride in anything but the hottest weather. Several commented that the expectation of heat was the only reason that they were willing to get into the water.

Tonneau Cover: If you need the full cover, you'll need this under it for rain deflection. It's also a good wind blocker on cooler days.

Rad-A-Cage Bimini Top: This provides limited shade if you really need it. I only use it occasionally.

Rad-A-Cage Cover: This is a well fitted cover if you need one.

Docking Lights: I rarely use these.

Jump Seat: I did not get this option. There is no need for it.

Pop-up Cleats: These are great. This boat could use about 8 cleats instead of 4. Maybe this could be a future factory option.

Teak Platform: classier than the fiberglas option. I'm glad I got it.

Gravity Games Package: I wish that I could have gotten this in Canada. With the Gravity III option, the wake isn't quite the right size, and has some froth at the top, if you have fewer than five adults in the boat. Just another couple of hundred pounds would do over the Gravity III. I am shopping for new rear bags.

Water Strainer: Get this if silt or other gunk would ever be an issue for you.

CNC Wakeboard Prop Upgrade: I have not yet seen the need for a lower-pitch prop. Maybe I'll change my mind with more ballast, but I have taken ten people out in lieu of ballast and it was fine.

Flush Kit: Essential for servicing out of the water.

340 HP MPI: My feeling is that the only reasons to get this over the 325 are resale value and bragging rights. I don't think that it gives more low-end grunt, and the extra top-end speed is extremely expensive to operate for long.

Depth Finder: If you want a factory installed depth finder to save the bother of installing a transducer, go ahead and get this. I have not yet performed the switch with the voltmeter that some had recommended here, but I shall. It lies to you if you are not stationary.

Tower Mirror: A very good option, but could stand to have a more stable mount.

Wakeboard racks (set of 2): Essential.

Gravity III Ballast 3-bag System (1 Front, 2 Rear): See my comments on Gravity Games Package.

Hydraulic wakeplate: Essential.

PerfectPass -- Wakeboard Pro: Essential.

PerfectPass -- Digital Pro: I don't know what this offers in addition to the Wakeboard Pro.

Audio Remote -- Transom Location: This is a surprisingly handy, crowd pleasing option.

AM/FM MP3 CD w/Remote (Sirius Ready): I rarely use it, so I have little positive or negative to say about it.

Tower Speaker: See my earlier comment on "peace-loving cottagers".

Guide Pole covers: I'm glad that I got these, but they are not essential. Warning when backing in really far: they float away.

Swingaway Tongue: You know your own storage requirements. This saves about 3 feet.

Spare Tire with Bracket: Essential unless you prefer to store the spare in your truck.

2nd Axle Disc Brakes: I skipped these. See my earlier comments. The single axle brakes work well.

Paint Over Galvanized: Essential.

Galvanized frame: Essential.

---------------------------------------------------

Ian
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I'd go with that. My wife is a big Bimini fan. Get teh Stainless steel rails. I didn't & want them.

SD2