Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Serenity got 1600 in upgrades

I wanted to throw this up, those with Diesels can appriciate it. Those without thinking of getting one might like the info LOL.

Got my 08 Ford F350 6.4L Twin Turbo start of Jan.

Going into the purchase i knew the stong and weak points of this truck and engine combo.
    Its the Last International made engine and personaly im a fan of the International.

Weak points
    cooling system leaks from the radiator. Mine had this all fixed under warrenty
    DPF System < diesel particulate system > present as its EPA required
    EGR valve present as its EPA required
    Fuel milage 11 in town and 15 mixed and 17 hwy

Strong points
    350 hp and 650ft torque...Betty 430 HP and 730 torque Modified
    Twin Turbo setup....Betty Single Turbo
    new oil type of oil cooler < much better then the 6.0>
    Larger and better placed head bolts. < much better then 6.0
    All new truck design

So after leaving Black Betty and mind you the dealer sold her with in 2 weeks. I had no real regrets except over all milage and stock this was less the Betty since she was modified. After driving 2 weeks to work and back and only getting 450 miles from the tank and averaging 14.5 mpg i was pretty disapointed in the rig. Also when you mash the skinny peddle it had a bit more turbo lag then Betty, but once she kicked in you could feel some good solid power. You could also literally watch the fuel gauge go down every day you drove it. At 50 miles if comes off full, it hits 3/4 at 100 miles and so one. This fuel gauge is dead on all the time lol.

So im my never leave anything stock mantra i upgraded things LOL.

I did the standard upgrades for the 08
    S&H Mini Max tuner
    S&B cold air intake
    Diamond Eye 5inch exhaust
    MBRP 6inch chrome tip

WOW is all i can say, and im sure glad my truck has traction control. This truck is a straight up beast. with up to 310 RWHP on the tuner i can lay down 570 hp to the ground, with the S&B intake its been dynoed at 590. Torque is now apx 1100 at the rear wheels. No i didnt get my dynoed LOL. These are the standard proven numbers for this set up, plenty of the companies selling these products list these numbers, and tons of owners on the Powerstroke.org have dynoed the trucks with these numbers as results.

Driving the truck last night was scary at times, a rush at times, and just pur fun all the time. Scary part is when you step into this thing, it starts with a growl from the engine, as it sucks in all that air threw the new opened CAI, then it puts you into the seat and the power rolls in, the traction control light comes on and you can literaly feel the power at the back of the truck. Its inteanse, I havent even when WOT yet, thats the scard part LOL. Im only running the 275 tune till i get used to it lol.

Milage last night was 18 mpg mixed city and hwy. I expect it to go up more as i get the trans tune installed because it didnt want to shift to 5th till 55mph where before it would shift at 50 so the revs stay right at 2K at 50 and thats drinking some fuel.

All i can say is if you get one of these trucks, the proven combo of S&B, MINI Max, and 5inch exhaust will not let you down lol.

Heres some pics.

Stock air filter

DPF system

Mini Max tuner, this is a pic i stole of Google LOL I need to paint my dash pod to match the truck.
    Last edited by mmandley; 02-12-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

S&B CAI intake

5inch Diamond Eye exhaust

[COLOR="#696969"]

MBRP 5inch in and 6inch out tip

Just to show how big this tip and exhaust are

All the crap i took off, apx 90lbs of exhaust LOL. Now this exhuast is not EPA approved and illegal in a lot of states but if you dont have to run emissions on your truck like in OR then its the only way to go. Its not even loud its much quiter then Betty with her 4inch pipe.

I am disapointed at my measure 2x mark it and cut it LOL. Evidently the last extension pipe wasnt completly on when i measured. Once i cut it and bolted it all up the tip was a couple inches farther under the truck then i wanted.
    Bright side is IDK because i was planning on an Exhaust shop to make me a 5inch outlet that wraped behind the rear wheel. I dont like the way this one is angled. Now if i had Duels id like the angled look LOL
    Last edited by mmandley; 02-12-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Nice Job Mike!
    Did you block the EGR and looks like you scrapped the DPF? I'm sure your tuner blocks the codes. Did you just zip tie the sensor wires up under there somewhere?
    Did u go Diamond Eye exhaust with MBRP tip?
    Gotta love the diesel

I'm currently running a PPE tuner and 4in exhaust with 5in tip both MBRP. I'm going to swap it out for 5in here soon and change over to EFI Live tunes. I've got my buy list pretty well set as you saw in another post I made.
    Part of the reason I bought my 07 Classic DMax was because it was the last year before EPA required the DPF systems. The Max's need a lift pump so I'm doing that as well. It should make a great improvement to an already good truck!!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Nice Job Mike!
    Did you block the EGR and looks like you scrapped the DPF? I'm sure your tuner blocks the codes. Did you just zip tie the sensor wires up under there somewhere?
    Did u go Diamond Eye exhaust with MBRP tip?
    Gotta love the diesel
    Tuner shuts the EGR off but later this spring or early summer im going to remove it all together. Its right on the front of the engine where the fan and belts are, bad design of you ask me because its almost impossible to work on the front of the truck LOL.

Tuner blocks the DPF codes, yes i taped and ziped the sensor wires to there harness, im going to keep the DPF section in the shed or something, in case i ever move and need it. There pretty expensive to replace. I just at the muffler joint.

Yes Diamond Eye exhaust and MBRP tip i chose Diamond eye because its prices a lot better then MBRP. Betty had MBRP and they were like 300 then now there pushing 400 and the Diamond eye was only 270 and honeslty i cant tell the difference in quality. The pipe is all nice, its been rust treated, all joins fit perfect, it took me close to 2 hours to remove the DPF and only 45 minutes to install the new pipes.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Nice upgrades mike. I need to do a little to my 6.0 gasser, the 10.8mpg is starting to drive me crazy
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

sweet. lookin' good. saw the pics on FB last night
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

Is the 6.4 less prone to some of the issues the 6.0 had with blowing head gaskets and such? My brother is looking at getting a 6.0 but is real worried about the possibility of having to drop a bunch of money into a truck just to make it reliable, to the point where he may just be better off saving a little longer and getting a 6.4. Thought you might have some insight seeing as you've had both.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by rc5695 View Post
    saw the pics on FB last night
    I saw some too & wondered if Mike was going to share that story?

I'm trying to ditch my 6.0 as we speak for the exact reasons. $4k for studs, egr system removal, a few other things just to make it reliable....no thanks. I'm trying to get out before its a "must be done"

I'm hoping a Duramax is in my near future.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold