Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I need to do something about my dodges fuel mileage. I was thinking CAI and a superchips programmer but I'm not sure how much of a difference that will yield. I'd be happy with a 2-3 mpg increase.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rc5695 View Post
    saw the pics on FB last night
    I saw some too & wondered if Mike was going to share that story?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    I saw some too & wondered if Mike was going to share that story?
    Ha Ha me too, I think heads would roll if that were my new truck.

PWI as usual...

Yeah, I followed the damage pics on FB...that is some crazy stuff no doubt.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Ok ill post a thread on the damage i didnt post it here just didnt think yall wanted to hear about it LOL.

As for the 6.4 Vs the 6.0

Big changes that were made were the 6.4 got Larger head bolts and can handle a lot more head pressure and are a lot more reliable. This truck also has not 1 but 2 EGR coolers ohh joy. One is right on the front of the engine and the secong is under the exhaust manifold drivers side. New style oil cooler that doesnt get clogged up like the 6.0.

We all mentioned the 6.0 problems.

Whats the 6.4 big disadvatages?
    DPF system
    EGR system
    Coolant leaks
    Bad Fuel milage in town

DPF system is the biggest pain in the arse peace of crap on these trucks, it sucks a ton of fuel when its in Regen mode, basically dumps a bunch of fuel into 7,8 clyinder to heat the cat up and help it burn <Clean> the Regen filter. During this you can get white smoke real bad, rotten egg smell, your can actually watch your MPG drop on the dash, plus it creats about 700 degree exhaust at the tip so its roasting the rear of the truck.

This also leads to fuel in your oil because it runs so rich during this process its not uncommon to see 2 qts of fuel mixed in the oil so they say you have to change the oil 3 to 5K and constantly check your oil level. Bad bad bad

Coolant leaks have been fixed on most 08 and 09 truck with an upgraded radiator so those arnt such an issue anymore. Also you was upgraded with a 2 oring upper rad hose, its said to be white one end and mine is all black so i might be doing that upgrade for peace of mind.

I choose to remove the DPF system, and when you do this you have to add a tuner of some kind to clear the codes and tell the truck not to regen. The truck wont even start if you unplug the DPF system. I then upgraded the Air intake as the 08 its not very good for anything over 400hp. Stock is 350.

So with my upgrades its as bullet proof as its going to get till i pull the EGR coolers later this year. these truck will handle up to 600RWHP or about 700 at the flywheel whith no real issue. Pass that or push more then 40 PSI of boost and your coing to be looking at new headgaskets and studs.

Duramax makes excellent power and its a solid truck, there only drawback when upgrading is the fuel pump. Do that and they make unreal power.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I need to do something about my dodges fuel mileage. I was thinking CAI and a superchips programmer but I'm not sure how much of a difference that will yield. I'd be happy with a 2-3 mpg increase.
    Pass on the Superchip tuner and go Smarty. I have an AFE Stage II intake on mine with Aeroturbine exhaust. Getting upper 20-21 hand calculated MPG. Oh, and the AFE intake makes the turbo scream. However, my Cummins is the 5.9L with 5-speed auto.
    Last edited by you da man; 02-15-2012 at 12:47 PM.

David drives a gasser, right? I thought Smarty was Cummins specific
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Thanks for all the info mike. Looks like that's the way hes gonna go after I let him read your post. He was worried about the gas mileage on the 6.4 but seems like after you do a couple minor modifications they're not too bad.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    David drives a gasser, right? I thought Smarty was Cummins specific
    ah well, nevermind...dang spark plug engines.

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    Thanks for all the info mike. Looks like that's the way hes gonna go after I let him read your post. He was worried about the gas mileage on the 6.4 but seems like after you do a couple minor modifications they're not too bad.
    After getting her all dialed in, using the proper HP tune, trans tune, going to work and back gained me 2.5 mpg I was getting 14.5 average and now im a solid 17.

Before in town only i was getting around 12 to 13 and yesterday i went 100 miles ruffly, into Portland to the Victory Motorcycle dealer and home and averaged 15.5 mpg so still a solid 2.5 average.

Can yall see what my next machine in the Mandley garage will be? LOL Victory Vision Tour is what im after.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]