Thread: Subwoofer Ideas

Default Subwoofer Ideas

I've been wanting to put a sub in the boat for a while. I plan on putting it in front of the drivers seat and was wondering if there is a special sub box that you can buy that will fit well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fierce+A...&skuId=8780456.

I'm looking for the cheapest thing possible that will sound good. I'm not looking for thundering bass just something that sounds good. I already have two amps on the boat, one for the main speakers and one for the tower speakers so I will just put the sub into one of these and best buy has a sale on subs right now...
    2006 Mobius LS
    Wetsounds PRO 485

Quote Originally Posted by tylerboyd8 View Post
    and was wondering if there is a special sub box that you can buy that will fit well.
    Yes, Exile makes a box and subs that fit in front of the footrest.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerboyd8 View Post
    I'm looking for the cheapest thing possible that will sound good. I'm not looking for thundering bass just something that sounds good.
    This statement contradicts itself. Really no such thing as Cheap and Sound Good! Keep in mind that "sounding good" is very subjective.
    Remember that alot of boats come factory with the sub cut right into the footwell. Some think it sounds good, others (including me) don't. That is your "cheapest" alternative. Buy a sub and throw it in.
    A good quality sub married with a spec. built sealed enclosure, powered with the appropriate amp will yield your best results. You need to take into account what size sub, how much leg room are you willing to sacrifice, and what your current amp is capable of.
    I'm sure the experts will chime in but you will need to provide more information on what you are really looking for. There are alot of threads on this subject that you may want to read up on.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Before getting bogged down in brands, you need to see what the max outside dimensions the enclosure can have, based on the space and location, as this will dictate the woofer that best suites that size enclosure. At that point, you then choose the amp that best matches the amp power wise.

Next, do not buy an off the shelf car box. It will get water logged and rot in a season.

The Exile enclosure shipped will cost 2X what it would for you to take the boat to a marine audio installer and have them do a custom enclosure for your woofer. Also, the Exile enclosure is made for the Exile subs, so you can not just drop any sub in it and expect it to sound good.