Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

These guys are way more qualified than I am to help you now with all the info out there. The only thing I wanted to mention is an observation based on this part of your explanation: "We are 90% surf . . ."

Check out the Exile SXT65 speakers before you change whatever you have on the tower. While I agree that getting what you have now working is probably the priority, if you do decide to upgrade you will kick yourself if you don't at least hear these before you decide what to do. Good luck!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I want edit my post just a little after double checking the specs on the ZX250.2. At 4 ohm, such as driving 1 speaker per chnl, its output is 85W rms. That is by no means, grossly under powering those Kicker components. Although they would run comfortable at 120W, I do not believe upgrading the amp at this point, would yield the results you are looking for. I agree with David, if you are ready to make the investment, then go with a single pair of larger speakers. Picking up a 2nd zx250.2 would out you spot on for most any 8" tower speaker out there.

Zone wise, I feel that the in-boat and tower need to be different zones and designed to achieve the goals that the owner wants for each. IMO, the sub is part of the in-boat zone and in most installs, stays that way. 9 of 10 customers with towers, do not want a 2K watt in-boat system to compete, keep up or be in balance with their 2K watt tower setup.

For the tow-sport enthusiasts, most are after a setup that allows them to tone down the in-boat volume when the rider is in tow. This allows the rider to enjoy the tunes without the passengers being subjected to the in-boat volume at the same time. So in those cases, an in-boat system that will keep pace with the HO tower system is not practical. There is the exception, though. There are those that funds are not a concern when designing the system. In most cases, they spend more time at the party cove. Their days on the water are less about tow sports and not too family friendly. So for them, having a 2500 watt sub projecting 6 boats over to the beer pong table is what their goals are.

Not to steer this thread too far of course but to expand a little on Mike's zone comments which I entirely agree with... You always want a little extra sub capacity and the ability to control the sub is nice to have if you are turning down the in-boat speakers while really driving the tower speakers extremely hard. Obviously under those conditions the in boat occupants are getting alot of residual radiation off the tower speakers whether they want it or not. But normally that doesn't constitute a zone in itself. Its just a bit of extra capacity and a bit of control.
    For bass that is musical you cannot overdrive the capacity of your in-boat coaxials. Why? Try listening to any subwoofer in isolation and without the coaxials. It will absolutely sound soggy and indiscriminant. So you are very dependent on a balanced relationship between the subwoofer and in-boat coaxials if you want pitch accuracy and tonal definition in your bass. As your subwoofer overdrives the coaxials, provided it has that ability to do so, you will increasingly lose any resemblance to musicality. So the sub is tightly tied to the in-boat coaxials as part of a common in-boat zone. If you only want disco bump at the exclusion of sound quality then its a different set of priorities. And there is nothing wrong with that when its a conscious decision.

David
    Earmark Marine

John - I didn't realize you where from Seattle. You have some great local resources close by for help if you run into trouble. or Need

- Exile is located down in portland. Welcome to stop by anytime for a refreshment. Redbull just sponsored us and dropped off a shiny refrigerator with all kinda stuff in it.

- Divine Marine is up your way. You might have seen him at the seattle boat show. I'm sure he'd give you some direct input.

- Bakes Marine is over in Issaquah (sp?) and they have an in house tech.

Sometimes the forums can go around and around in circles. I probably speak for all the audio guru's in saying you can reach out to any one of us for help regardless of the brand gear you are running.

The time is now to get all those issues sorted out because before you know it, it'll be time to DWIN and get on the water. Bakes a good service place if you need help with any of that stuff too.

and yes, I agree with all the above comments about getting that system working before you run go change it. If on of those amps are toast, I'd probably forget repairing it and just replace it with one of the amps listed in the classified section Probably be cheaper, and the forum members are all good guys.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    Sometimes the forums can go around and around in circles.
    How else is one supposed to build up their post count?

Post count?
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Nice one! How's the bromance weekend going?

Kyle fell asleep, the other 9 of us are all still in his living room.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold