Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Board advice

Default Board advice

Looking to upgrade this year. I'm 6'3 205 and i've been riding something way too small the last few years(13. Based on what i've been reading i think i want something with a blended 3 stage rocker, but thats about as far as my knowledge goes. As far as my riding its fairly basic, can do grabs and 180s, but am hoping to progress this year as i will be riding a quite a bit more behind our new boat(upgraded from an i/o). I have a basically new set of hyperlite bindings from last year so the board is all im looking for. Would like to stay below $400 and would prefer last year model year boards for obvious price reasons. Thanks in advance

I purchased a 2011 Slingshot Reflex at the end of last season and I love it compared to my 2011 LF Trip. Softer landings and can press out some sweet manuals with the flex of the board.

Looks like most of the 2011s in your size are sold out (unless you wanted the response which is a continuous) on the website: http://ride.slingshotsports.com/wake...pecials-boards

Looks like you can still get a 2012 under $400 depending on what you want: http://www.evo.com/shop/wake/wakeboards/slingshot.aspx

If you were interested in a very lightly used 2011 Reflex or Kine, let me know. A good friend of mine went SS crazy and bought 3 SS boards this past summer and then decided to keep his favorite. No slider marks

I know others will have different opinions on boards, just my .02
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V
    Monster Tower MT2 - 750 rears, GG 1180 center - PP Wakeboard Edition

I'll be one of the guys with a different opinion, no offense Ryan. I would shy away from the 2011 Slingshot stuff. I had a SS Hooke that broke on my 2nd session, first day. Also, they have made it a point to stress they have redone the tract system for 2012.

Do you know if you like more of a locked in feeling or a loose feeling? If there is any way to demo some boards that would be ideal. I rode a 2011 Ronix One (my buddies) and my 2011 LF Watson Hybrid. Two completely different boards but I liked them both. The One is slower and the Watson Hybrid quicker (closer to a SS)

Evo usually has some great prices.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

No matter what board you get, you need to get one for your weight and height. At least a 140 in length. Most sites have a size chart so you can see what you need. You can also find several boards new and used on E-Bay for alot cheaper price. Last year I bought a Demo 2010 CWB Marius on e-bay for $200.00. Brand new it goes for $499. Decide on what kind of board, Begiiner, Intermediate, or advanced. Then look around for a good price. I always compare sites, Evo, E-bay and Google.
    Three stage rockers are great and very easy to ride. Your heading the right way. Good luck
    Rick
    2002 Moomba Mobius V

The CWB Marius is a great board it is wider and has soft landings. I purchased this board from Evogear in December for $295. Keep an eye on their discounts they change weekly. This is an advanced/Expert board but rides well at any level if you know how to edge.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards...oard-2011.aspx

It looks that the marius is actually a continuous rocker. Anyone have any experience with http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards...oard-blem.aspx Demo'ing any boards is pretty out of the question here with only one board shop for miles with a very limited selection. My riding will be all behind a boat, no rails.

Thanks for all your help so far guys

Ronix District is a sort of hybrid rocker so is the Slingshot Lyman. I'm sure Liquid Force has hybrid 3 stage rocker board...seems like they have a bajillion different models each year.

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    I'm sure Liquid Force has hybrid 3 stage rocker board...seems like they have a bajillion different models each year.
    LF Watson Hybrid is the 3 stage hybrid
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I ride the LF watson and love it, it's a very predictable board. I would say definitely stick to something 140 and up and maybe concentrate in the 142-143 range. I'm 6ft 170lbs and I ride the watson 143 so I wouldn't worry that a 143 or even 144 is too big for you.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Freshturk
    It looks that the marius is actually a continuous rocker. Anyone have any experience with http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards...oard-blem.aspx Demo'ing any boards is pretty out of the question here with only one board shop for miles with a very limited selection. My riding will be all behind a boat, no rails.
    I actuyally have 2 Marius boards a 134 and the 141. They are very forgiving boards,just when you think your going to loose it, you somehow pull it out (continuous rocker)(Rocker is vey mild in the middle). I let beginners ride the 134 ad it works Great.

My Buddy has the Ronix IBEX and I have ridden it. Its a very nice board and handles well. Thats a good price too. you will like it!
    Rick
    2002 Moomba Mobius V